40 feet of vis @ CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering if the reason vis was so good was its been cold so not too many people in there stiring up, and not a lot of rain here lately.

Algae blooms have a much greater effect on the vis at CSSP than students do. I would put wind and rain as second and students in a distant third. Sure around Cisco, the plane, and the platforms vis is going to get crappy due to students. These are actual structures divers sit on, land on, kneel on etc and throw particles up in the water. The don't go very far though. In the rest of the pond, suspended algae is the cause of bad vis.
The reason (IMHO) vis stayed so good longer last year was all the rain we had in April and May. Not enough sun to trigger the huge algae blooms.
Now cold water prevents the algae from blooming. The particles are settling out due to a lack of high winds and vis is getting good.

Athens is much shallower and the students actually crash the bottom more often. The bottom composition is also different.

TwoBit

If the vis truely is 40 feet right now, then I wouldn't complain so much about $20.00 as long as I dont' take the wife and daughter.

If the vis truely is 40 feet right now, then I wouldn't complain so much about $20.00 as long as I dont' take the wife and daughter.

We ran into pockets of 10ft. vis,,,but it really seemed to be 25-40ft on average for our 2 dives.....almost a 'cheap' feeling for us that dive in far less vis as a norm. No student divers where we were....less you count Firefyter getting used to his new USAI dry suit--but he did 'really good' for a new ds diver. :D

What I saw yesterday @ CSSP that was pretty cool was a swarm of Bass & Catfish all out hunting in a pack. There must have been at least 100 at least maybe more more more.
Sure... I've seen that sort of thing but during January in N. Texas , NOT.
We had just been playing with my new spear gun top side during our surface interval just shooting at a log.
When we saw all those fish ...
Boy we looked like trigger finger kids with make believe cap guns going pow...pow pow pow pow
:D

The fish were coasting along and just tilling up the bottom as they went.
God bless all the poor starvin' pigmy fish...................

Except for that which made the water sort of Margaritta clear ... it was at worst , Green Tea

We will be teaching an OW class out there next week. I have never seen the vis that high. That would be so nice. We will try to keep our students from rototilling the bottom.

You'll have to find some way to keep your students from freezing, too.

...40 ft viz at the pond, I can only imagine...

cruiser... I thought about you and your camera Saturday....
Man , Linda you could have made a bunch a magazine covers

cruiser... I thought about you and your camera Saturday....
Man , Linda you could have made a bunch a magazine covers

I KNOW, I missed out. How do you bear the water that cold? I've got a 7 mm wetsuit with gloves and a beanie. I'm tempted to give it a try this weekend just to see that viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom