40 Fathom Grotto Status???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jakarta, Indonesia & Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was just talking with a friend about some training I did in 40 Fathom Grotto many years ago. I googled to show him some pictures, and got curious if the site is operational anymore. If looks like the website is pretty dated as it will "reopen to the public in 2013."

Can anyone catch me up?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting Entrance fee: $200.

I also dove there several times In the early 90s.

“Tribal knowledge” has it to have been purchased or leased by some sort of commercial dive training outfit that doesn’t seem to motivated to have recreational or technical divers around. I think it can still be scheduled, but the fees make it impractical for most. Sort of miss the days when it was run my “Mr SCUBA”, Hal Watts. It was a cool dive, even though they seemed determination to clutter it up with weird crap like motorcycles hanging from cables. Last time I was there, they were adding cement to a boat hull trying to sink it. ..the 60- corvette was sort of a cool throwback to the days it was used to “disappear” stolen cars.

*based on rumor, speculation and conjecture. :wink:

It was a cool dive, even though they seemed determination to clutter it up with weird crap like motorcycles hanging from cables....

I hated every second I was in that hole. It was dark, cold, creepy, confusing, and the vis was less than six feet when we were there. My buddies and I just wanted to go a bit deeper to hunt some big grouper in the clear blue of the Gulf Stream... so we did some training. Little did we knew we had do things like drop down a line 150 feet to hang out next to some van in pitch black freezing (to us) water. It was a great class with a solid instructor... I learned a ton...most importantly that cave diving would never, ever be in my future. :)

As is the case with most springs and sinks, visibility will vary from visit to visit, and can be destroyed by a couple bad flutter kicks. I enjoyed the challenge. It’s one of only a few places where you can get to 130+ ft and not be in a full cave environment.

There are some pretty cool fossils there if you take the time to look. Sadly, I doubt I will ever be back in there.

...some sort of commercial dive training outfit that doesn’t seem to motivated to have recreational or technical divers around. ...
Just say'in, but the fees they collect from W/W special operations teams renting the facility would make your eyes pop out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom