4 Months in Prison for Breaking Quarantine in Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now the Obamas are going to Hawaii. I wonder if they'll get locked up for 2 weeks like other visitors or?...
Visitors to Hawaii don’t need to quarantine if they get a negative PCR test from an approved vendor within 72 hours of arrival.

Visitors to Hawaii don’t need to quarantine if they get a negative PCR test from an approved vendor within 72 hours of arrival.
Oh, that's why they had abandoned the 14 day quarantine for visitors rule!

If more people had followed the advice of health professionals the daily death count would not be so horrific. Sadly, many seem to place a higher value on personal entitlement than civic responsibility. Good on the Cayman Islands for taking a tough stand.

1. You can not Quarantine the world for 2 years, which is the avg life span of a virus.

2. The death rate in states and countries that had lock downs is higher then those that have not? So Florida and Texas have high infections, New York has a 3 time higher death rate with half the infections.

3. I with many others are out feeding starving families weekly, what are you doing. I would rather see a child died of Covid then Starvation. I seen starving Children, I suggest you spend time in communities where real life is going on daily.

You can sit in your warm home, and critique on something you have no real knowledge of. I will break Quarantine to help people, all day every day.

Now for the Cayman Islands, the girl knew the law, it was her choice to visit, her choice to break it, See can do the time.

When I grew up in cold-war times, were were told that freedom was the highest value to US citizens. From this discussion, I would say it is law and order. What happened here? The girl took a swim, no-one hurt, nothing stolen. Four months prison ... serious?

I completely agree with you on the issue of freedom. But when we visit other counties we must abide by there rules. The girl knew the law, and ignored it. I would never come to your country and disrespect your laws because I thought they where wrong.

Again, he can pardon for any federal crime.
President can offer pardon to anyone anytime he/she wishes.
Remind me the old days of feudal system when the Emperor has absolute power on anything. And we are living in 21st century!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

More than 50 posts have been removed as they were deemed to violate the ToS.

Have a cookie, some milk and perhaps some eggnog, and let the Christmas spirit flow. If you're already thoroughly "spirited", consider putting down the keyboard for some time. And be nice.

Just to add a little bit of local perspective to this story, several families she interacted with were placed in quarantine as a result of her interaction with them. What about their Christmas? She was holding a baby and having a fine old time for herself. I know personally how worried members of that family were including their grannie. She had her monitoring bracelet replaced the day before the breach as she claimed it was scratching her arm. They came a put a looser one on. The bracelet is very similar to what they put on you in the hospital. We had one here for two weeks and there was no scratching or physical discomfort. She was not singled out. Caymanian boyfriend received the same treatment. While we were on lockdown all and any locals who broke the self isolation rules was warned for prosecution. That doesn’t mean just that they got a warning but rather that they faced prosecution. When members of the public alerted to race officials that there was a potential breach, they called the authorities who had to wait on the beach for her to come in on her jet ski. Her “boyfriend” was only a boyfriend for 7 months most of which they didn’t see each other so it’s not like being separated from loved ones for months — something many of us deal with daily. The organizers of the event have apologized and taken responsibility for any thing they did to allow this to happen. He will lose sponsorship and perhaps even be banned. He may lose his dream job. Although I do not hold that a freshman in college is a premed student, he has lost as much and if not more than she did. Finally if her US supporters had not used media to highlight her law breaking activities, she would not be as infamous as she is. If she wanted to attend the race she merely needed to come down two weeks earlier. When you deal with Travel Time or Cayman Travel as she would have had to, there are no gray areas about the regulations. She would have been more than aware of what she agreed to adhere to before even submitting her application for approval. It was deliberate, arrogant and self serving. Like most countries, she will get out early on good behavior. She is actually getting a little more leeway as she is going straight from the prison to the airport to be on the flight on 15 January rather than around the 20th. As far as schooling and family goes, she could have kept up online just as kids all over the world are currently doing. I feel very sorry for all the lives that their selfish behavior put on hold. They both got what they deserved. Feel sorry for the other folks on that Miami flight who may have their plans disrupted by media upon landing back in US.

Really the only thing I disagree with was changing the sentence. Had she gotten the jail time off the bat I would have no complaints.

Yes most people here feel the same way. That was mishandled. No insight but perhaps the public outrage and outrage in government corridors lead to that. The new, stricter regulations went into affect on the Friday I think. The fine the two were initially given was merely what they would have paid for quarantine in a government facility (not prison) and since they were now both going to quarantine, it was merely the cost of their room and board. The judge did not act wisely under the circumstances. However they still got a much lighter sentence than they could have and I guess would have had a criminal conviction even with the lighter sentence. Her reaction at the time was not meek nor conciliatory which might not have helped either. That’s what happens when everyone had a camera in hand.

Back
Top Bottom