4 Months in Prison for Breaking Quarantine in Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In most places including the US you don't serve the full amount.
I know and it was totally the GC government's call to do as they see fit! I'm not questioning that - I was just surprised that she was out already given the visibility of the case and the fact that the sentence was already reduced from 4 months to 2 months...

I think she is probably overwhelmed by all the publicity and has had to come to terms with not having a good explanation for her actions. In many ways she is just another young person who made a really bad decision.

I think she is probably overwhelmed by all the publicity and has had to come to terms with not having a good explanation for her actions. In many ways she is just another young person who made a really bad decision.
Yup - and, hopefully, learned a hard lesson... and that others who were made aware of this through all of the publicity will learn to respect the local laws when visiting a foreign country (and, hopefully, at home too).

She acknowledges during the televised interview that she made a "selfish decision."

she still struggled to admit the basic fact that she knew she was breaking the law

The acknowledgement was for a "conscious decision" which, if she meant to use those words, means she understood what she was doing. What she struggled with and could not explain was why she made the conscious effort which the rest of us can, or think we can, explain. But what was she going to say in a nationally televised interview - "I did it because I went to GC to watch my boyfriend compete, so yes I knew I'd be breaking the rules."

She did wrong for sure, but I remember being that age with hormones flowing, emotions high, it felt like dying not to be with my current love, whoever that happened to be at the time.

She knew what she was doing when she removed the bracelet. I thought the funniest thing about this whole silly story, is when her mother or grandmother was trying to reach out to the president for help. Unbelievable

I wonder if her parents are going to take the medical boards for her.

The saddest part is that the media jumped on board.

Now I think it was wrong that they changed the sentence like that but not only did she know what she was doing, she planned it by not arriving 2 weeks early so she could quarantine and then going in and getting a looser braclet so she could slip out of it.

I just watched her interview in the Cayman Compass.

Did not look like there was any emotion, remorse, guilt, embarrassment, or conscience searching. Just a smug, privileged kid who got caught.
I bet she would do it again if she could get away with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom