3mm vs. 5mm for local waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itch808

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a 3mm normal neoprene suit that's a little tight for me and was thinking about picking up something new. I'm looking at "stretch" type suits like Henderson's Hyperstretch but have heard the stretchniess makes them feel thinner. I'm not sure if I should be getting one in 5mm since I start to get cold around 77F on my second dive in a 3mm fullsuit. Am I crazy for even thinking about that much suit in our waters? What does everyone else dive in?

Nope... go with what you feel comfortable with. I have dove with everything from a full 3mm w/ a 2mm chicken vest & hood... down to a swimsuit.

Are they still selling Excel at a discounted price out at Haleiwa in thier outlet store? We checked out the Ward shops store and it was all retail. Good wetsuits though, I'd them them over a Henderson.

I've heard great things about Pinnacle suits and their wool lining.

You'll want to wear whatever keeps you comfy.

I wear a 5mm all year around when I dive Hawaii. The water is simply too cold for me to use a 3mm and do repetitive dives....like 2 in a row! :wink:

I've been talking about getting a 5mil wetsuit forever . . . those things are just so expensive, though.

Xcel in Haleiwa is the "outlet" location, though I have not yet found a 5mil there in my size. In addition to the discounted prices, I know they have an annual sale during the 4th of July.

I use a 3 mil when the water temp is above 79 then add a 3 mil hood and vest under it when the temp drops to 78 and below, it keeps me warm for multiple dives.

Honestly i think it depends on your body weight/body fat. I weigh about 215 and usually dive in board shorts/thermal top and feel great. If its a bit colder ill throw on a 3mm spring suite. My gf weighs about 110 lbs and has a 7mm full suite. Wow that thing is thick!

Just be prepared to add more weight if you go higher mm. My gf has to wear 16lbs...i wear 16.

I've never used a 5mm here, so I wasn't sure. You'll probably think I'm crazy, but I've used a 7mm here and baked underwater. I know for sure that I don't need that much suit. Thanks for all the tips!

I'm cold natured... I wear a Henderson 3mm above 77 degrees. 77 and below, I'm in a Bare 5/4.

Back
Top Bottom