3mm vs. 5mm for local waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a 3mm in the winter and no wetsuit in the summer (ok some days I wear a 2mm shortie). My regular buddy on the other hand wears a 5/3 with a hood year round!
Before getting a 5mm, try just getting a hood. As you probably know you lose most of your body heat from your head. In the past I've found that wearing a hood was warmer (and easier) than wearing a thick wetsuit.

I used a BodyGlove 4/3 and my wife used an Excel 5/4...we were both very comfortable (she tends to be colder than me so the adjustment for "personal" comfort level was perfect for each of us).

I have several Henderson's.

I use a 3mm until about now or when the water drops below 76 F or so...then go to a 5 mm. I wear the Hyperstretch hood under both.

If you dive a lot, I am a big fan of having more than one. They will last twice as long, so it really is not more expensive after the outlay. I like to dry off in between so I always have a dry one for the second dive.... vested hoods are wonderful.

LP has the best prices.

The hyperstretch cells might be more prone to compression, I think. I air fluff them back in the dryer on very low heat.

onfloat:
I'm in a drysuit.

I thought it was you that I saw that day at e-beach (about 4 weeks ago.)

I dive an Xcel 4/3 full suit and it works great. I am warm in the summer sometimes, but simply snap my neck and let some water in and I am fine. In the winter I feel great. In the winter I do start to get chilled if I do two extremely long shore dives or a couple of deep dives so I think I might try to add a light hood this year for the winter months to help on those days.

I wear a Scubapro Everflex 5mm suit. It does not "thin out" as much as the Henderson Hyperstretch. It is a true 5mm. The Hendersons are great suits...but the material is prone to snagging. Plus...it is SO stretchy that people (especially women) are so thrilled that they can squeeze into two sizes smaller than they are used to...they end up with a suit that is stretched to the equivalent of a 3mm.

Well, this thread answered the question I logged on to ask. Heading to Kihei in two weeks and was going to ask about exposure protection. I have to admit that I am a neoprene ****. I have a microprene, 3m shorty, 3m full, 5/4 full, 7/5 full and a 2 piece 7m. Was going to get a Pinnacle Extreme as well. Based on the comments here and my dive plans, I will take the 5/4 full. That should be fine.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season!!

Back
Top Bottom