3mm Amazon/Low Cost Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like this topic has gone dormant - but if anyone is following along and has opinion/insight....TIA.

N00b question: I am seeing some 1.5mm and 3mm suits on Amazon with front zippers. Of the many with reviews, people are saying they are so easy to get in and out of, especially once they are fully wet and "clingy." Of course the standard is back-zip, which makes me think you really need to be a Yogi Master Jedi Blackbelt, or have two elbows on one arm to get zipped up w/o help. The front-zip wetsuits appear to be "no brainers." Am I mis/over-thinking based on inexperience? Like...do the front-zip wetsuits tend to "unzip" themselves in water, or when you swim, or when you're re-boarding the boat after a dive? Why would anyone use a back-zip wetsuit?
As lowwall stated, back zip is actually easier to put on. Also, the always have a lanyard on the zipper, so it's easy to reach back, grab the end of the lanyard and use it to pull the zipper up or down.

Respectfully,

James

Why would anyone use a back-zip wetsuit?
I have not used a front zip wetsuit, but I have also heard they can be harder to get into than a back-zip. I can say that after you do it for about 10 dives or so getting into a back-zip wetsuit is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The suits have long lanyards on the zipper that you use, and lean back a bit. If the zipper is being fussy you can often pull the lanyard up over one shoulder and kind of apply leverage to it. A bit hard to explain in writing, but easy to learn.

When you're talking about $40 wetsuits you have to wonder how they're doing it so cheap. Part of the answer is that these companies aren't spending anything on marketing or R&D, and the fact that these suits are just lower quality with corner-cutting all around (which you might accept).

But the other part of the answer is that they're externalizing costs to workers and the environment in ways that more reputable companies do not; these suits are likely made in unregulated, unethical factories. Neoprene is not a very environmentally-friendly material to manufacture even when done "right". It is contrary to the basis of our sport - going to explore amazing underwater places - to do so using equipment manufactured with the lowest environmental standards.

Personally if I were looking for a cheap wetsuit I'd look for used ones. They depreciate A LOT because people are afraid of the peepee. Old wetsuits work great unless obviously worn out. Wash it and you're fine. Tons of deals to be found from people who bought the wrong size or whatever. Used suits will be higher quality - warmer, more comfortable, easier to don, and the f***ing cheap zipper won't bust on your 3rd dive. Reduce reuse recycle.

Any wetsuit will be awkward to get into the first couple times you use it, then easy once you figure out the method for that individual suit. Back or front zip suits are both fine.

One advantage of front zips is they tend to have a lower neck which may be more comfortable for those with shorter necks.

I have a 5mm with hood and front zip and a 3mm no hood and back zip.
Both bought at Decathlon some years ago, so quite "el cheapo". 89 eur for the 5mm, 69 eur for the 3mm. The latter is stretchier, of course.
I do not find that the back zip is easier to get in and out, but it is definitely more difficult to close or open the zip.
The front one has the advantage that you can open the zip while diving, being fully equipped.
The 3mm is quite evidently more designed for surf or windsurf than for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom