3mm Amazon/Low Cost Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeAg03

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm just checking to see if anyone with similar size have bought any of the cheap amazon options and have been happy with them... I'm still on my diet and working to lose more weight so don't want to invest too much at this point on a wetsuit. Diving in Texas and hopefully tropic areas, so just looking for a 3mm suit for now.
5'11, 270#, 46" waist, 49" chest...

Some of them might end up being too long... not sure if that'd be a problem vs just folding them back or not.

I have a long, broad torso and fat and relatively short legs, so fullsuits are always an issue. Shorties are better, but I sometimes have skin reactions to stuff in the water so need full coverage. For that I wear these 1.5mm pants (with a rashguard on top) in warm water: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MAW3KFV

If it's a bit cooler, I add a 3mm zippered vest from the same company: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NX6TBK1

Separates aren't as warm, but if they are warm enough, they are a lot easier to get on and off.

I bought a cheap 3mm on Amazon and had to return it. It was cheaply made, very loose at the wrists and ankles, just a piece of crap all around. Be sure the item says "free returns" if you go this route. But if you're losing weight, it might be better to just rent for now.

For a 3mm I would not be so worried about less than perfect fit. Low cost value versions will be fine. More of a sun and abrasion protection with minimal insulation. It's when you get into real thermal protection (5 and 7mm suits) that fit really matters.

Looks like this topic has gone dormant - but if anyone is following along and has opinion/insight....TIA.

N00b question: I am seeing some 1.5mm and 3mm suits on Amazon with front zippers. Of the many with reviews, people are saying they are so easy to get in and out of, especially once they are fully wet and "clingy." Of course the standard is back-zip, which makes me think you really need to be a Yogi Master Jedi Blackbelt, or have two elbows on one arm to get zipped up w/o help. The front-zip wetsuits appear to be "no brainers." Am I mis/over-thinking based on inexperience? Like...do the front-zip wetsuits tend to "unzip" themselves in water, or when you swim, or when you're re-boarding the boat after a dive? Why would anyone use a back-zip wetsuit?

Back zips are the standard because they are cheaper and easier to manufacture and because surfers (traditionally the largest customer base for wetsuits) don't want the zipper to scratch their boards when they are paddling.

The only other advantage of back zips is that they are actually easier to get into and out of than an equal length front zip. So look for a front zipper that goes all the way down to the leg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom