3D Printed parts - Working at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seb13

Registered
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Don't try this at home. We are talking about life-depending safety equipment. Try at your own risk
I am also not looking for replies about how dangerous it is. I am more looking for engineering or practical advice.

I recently purchased a second hand Ocean Reef G-diver Full Face Mask mask and it came with the communication system. I want to remove the communication system but I don't have the port plug so I decided to design and 3D print one.
IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

Assuming I print the piece with 100% infill (no air pocket inside) and using PETG (not water sensitive), there will still be the risk of micro bubbles being trapped inside the print and that could lead to a crack at high pressure.
Does anyone has experience with 3D printing parts for diving? I will take one in my pocket on the next dive and see how it behaves.

Is there an oring seal on the mask side still? thread sealing is not preferred, so you may need to add an oring seal to your plug if the original seal is not retained on the mask side

Somewhere I think there is a forum for 3D printing, I’ll alert @The Chairman, since he was in the printing threads I’ve read, and he can let you know where those people hang out.

Sounds like a great solution, good work.

Bob

Depends on the 3d printer and the material it prints with.

I have plenty of 3D printed parts in my rig. To date none of them have failed. My backplate wing has 3D printed parts. James79 on here has some second stage Parts 3D printed.

Is there an oring seal on the mask side still? thread sealing is not preferred, so you may need to add an oring seal to your plug if the original seal is not retained on the mask side
Yes the Oring is on the mask side, i am lucky :) Just need to make sure the printed surface is very flat

There are a few 3d printed parts on commercially available dive gear,
For example the HUD holder on the Dive Rite O2ptima,
perfectly fine at depth, no cracking.
Cool, good to know. I also designed a BCD handle, I will try it next dive and post an update.

Back
Top Bottom