3D print gopro 9 housing for deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could try an online cnc milling service:

Fictiv is great, but even their lowest cost option is going to be close to the cost of buying off the shelf.
You can save some more money going to China, it's not hard to have stuff machined via Alibaba. Provided you know how to ask for stuff correctly and make some drawings.

A couple of test iterations is still going to blow the budget though.

Much more fun to see just how far you can push desktop printing.

Cool. My budget is $5k. How many of those printers can I get? :wink:

They are cool, but unless you are using some of the exotic alloys or impossible geometry, they just don't make sense.

(I design 3D printers for a living).

You need housing for gopro9 or you buying printer ? different stuff ? just take print service LOL

Hi all,

I've been putting this project on the side as I was thinking of better solutions for the buttons. I think I have found a good one : qr code control! :
https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/actions/

Gorpo is even providing an app to create custom ones, and I will print them on a bunch of plastic cards attached to the case.

This way this project becomes very achievable and might even prove more reliable than the commercial solutions.

The only drawback is that you cannot put the camera off fully and that a bit of the battery will be used to keep it awake

hello all

so i got unlimited acces to a 3d print and i'm putting this project back on the table.

The catch is this printer does only PLA, so I've changed the case to be 7mm thick. I feel that it is overkill, but at least i'm confident it can withstand the pressure.
As for the seal quality, i'm also going for an oversized o ring to make it up for potential fault in the surface tolerances.

No the question of the windows (lense and back). I'm putting 5mm plexiglass, but i'm still undecides on the way to seal those. i'm not too much willing to go for oring because the cutting of the plexi would require to be flawless. The other oprtion is gluing with a resine but i'm concern it woul leak overtime. Any thougth on this ?

I would suggest building one with no windows or buttons first. Go do a few deep dives and see how it takes it. If all is good, do another with buttons. How does that work?

Looks like you are trying to slip all the R&D and hope the final product is perfect the first time. Virtual models are one thing. Practical testing is another.

No the question of the windows (lense and back). I'm putting 5mm plexiglass, but i'm still undecides on the way to seal those. i'm not too much willing to go for oring because the cutting of the plexi would require to be flawless. The other oprtion is gluing with a resine but i'm concern it woul leak overtime. Any thougth on this ?

I use a type of silicone its called right stuff. Works very well, I capture it so it can't move when bumped, and glue it from the outside...
Pressure is naturally inwards...

Here's an example plexiglass to aluminum
20220502_183902.jpg

I would suggest building one with no windows or buttons first. Go do a few deep dives and see how it takes it. If all is good, do another with buttons. How does that work?

Looks like you are trying to slip all the R&D and hope the final product is perfect the first time. Virtual models are one thing. Practical testing is another.
the final product will be without button, gopro comes with a qr code system that allows you to control everything, start, stop and all. you can also have a qr code dedicated to low ligth, one to high ligth or any other setup. You have to leave your camera on, but the battery will still last about 2 hours, good enougth for me.

I use a type of silicone its called right stuff. Works very well, I capture it so it can't move when bumped, and glue it from the outside...
Pressure is naturally inwards...

Here's an example plexiglass to aluminum
View attachment 720596
looks good ! what is this device for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom