3D print gopro 9 housing for deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, what do you guys think about transparent resine ?

The printing seems very smooth, and it saves a lot of work afterwards for the windows part (which i'm not confident about)

The chinese supplier says it would be good for this project. If I go for it then i will modify the 3d file to replace all window (including the one of the camera) by the resine itself.

If the picture quality is not perfect; I'm ready to compromise it versus the ease of built

link to the supplier description (in chinese) and description of the product below

O1CN01guBp7m1r3r3APedbU_!!2201405875576.jpg

Based on my experience of clear SLA resin on a Form 2/3:

It yellows when fully cured and that gets worse with exposure to sunlight.
It's surface is quite soft and will scratch very easily.
It's brittle, a thin plate suitable for an optical window would need to be quite thick.
The surface finish is nothing like flat or smooth enough to be used for an optical window.

It's possible that this vendor has better resin.
But a small glass or polycarbonate plate is simple, and if mounted from the outside will only become an ever tighter seal as the pressure goes up.
I'd just use silicone and some bolts.

Use o-rings in properly designed grooves not blobs of of silicone.

And read this thread so you skip the need for diving to test your housing.

I know it can be fun to make your own stuff. But there are times where it can just make more sense to buy one that works. Doesn't leak. Doesn't destroy the camera.

It go with laser metal printer . One company shows us (they sells these printers ) a metal printed ( titan )
pump for nuclear plant . ( after print it was seriously X- rayed , ultrasonic inspected and tested on high pressure ... it works ) :) just different 3D printer

It go with laser metal printer . One company shows us (they sells these printers ) a metal printed ( titan )
pump for nuclear plant . ( after print it was seriously X- rayed , ultrasonic inspected and tested on high pressure ... it works ) :) just different 3D printer
Cool. My budget is $5k. How many of those printers can I get? :wink:

They are cool, but unless you are using some of the exotic alloys or impossible geometry, they just don't make sense.

(I design 3D printers for a living).

Bit of an aside, but what is it at 150M that you want to photograph or video ?
For me it will be a claimed graveyard of shipwrecks

Back
Top Bottom