3040 and 5050 side by side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Been messing around with my 5050 today trying macro etc.

and while i was downloading i thought i would take another pic from my side room into the bedroom (similar to the photo of Daniel i took a couple of weeks ago) to see how it faired for noise etc.

I then took the same picture with the 3040 again just to be safe.

they both used the same f stop but the 5050 chose 1/50 while the 3040 chose 1/100.

one thing i noticed was the focus square jumped to the left on the 5050 (it was set to iESP).

I checked this several times and everytime it was the same.

they both have the same lens just different guts but it was interesting to see the difference.

has any one else done side by side comparisons with the 5050 and the lower models of the range?

Can you post thosae side by side pics? Not many folks have access to two cameras in order to do those kinds of comparisons so I'm sure it would be interesting if you'd do some sort of test for us! :wink:

ok

what i will try and do is set up the tripod so it is in the same place and take some then i will adjourn to the garden and try out the macro side by side and then super macro on some flowers.

I will only have a couple of days to do it over the next couple weeks as i have to square away the crap/belongings at my flat and vacate the house i am renting (taking furniture) as I am off to Italy indefinitely to work (they want me to go beginning of July).

The guy was telling me they have white sharks (as in GREAT) in the south of italy, so that could be exciting for a weekend trip.

Also got a week in Sicily planed in August when they close for summer hols :D

ok i got the tripod out today (had the day off) and got some photo's of a lotus vine (nice red flowers) anyway triming them to fit on here is not really doing them justice but i will have another go.

but here is what the setting turned out to be on program mode:

5050:

Macro on
1/100 sec
F4.0
ISO 64
FL 33mm

3040:

Macro on
1/500
F3.2
ISO 100
FL 35mm

I managed to find the sweet spot on the 3040 in macro and it did zoom in a hell of a lot closer, but no where near as close as the super macro on the 5050

all photo's were on a tripod and it never moved during the test.

it was a little windy today in the garden so the plant was moving a bit so some did not turn out as good as i had expected.

here is a wide angle of what i was photographing

Other than the 5050 being a bit brighter, I can't tell the diff in quality. Granted we're not looking at raw huge pictures, but after they have both been dropped down to a web friendly size, they look near identical to my untrained eye.

Now I have a mavica 1.3 MP...wonder how THAT would compare? heh

Back
Top Bottom