$300 to take a pony tank on plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning to fly American Airlines to Cozumel and was contemplating bringing a pony tank with me. The charge for taking a scuba tank is $150 each way so the cost was a bit of a shocker.

Adam

Is your life worth $300?

I'd just rent one while down there

Good grief.
Rent a tank in COZ.
><>

Just take the valve off, put clear tape over the cylinder opening, put it in with the rest of your gear, and check your bag while keeping yer mouth shut. Conversely, you can carry it on.

I agree remove the valve or rent something that side.

I brought mine in carry-on as recent as June. Just take off the valve. I always print out the TSA regulation and bring it with me. Twice I had to show it to theTSA inspector who was not sure of the rule.

I think you need to challenge that claimed charge. I suspect the pony could be packed in your checked bag with the valve removed and it would travel at whatever it costs you for the bag. You could even put it in your carry-on if it is small enough.

If you're going to be diving with a buddy, especially if it's someone you know, just leave the pony at home. Overkill for Coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom