$300 to take a pony tank on plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pony? WTH! Are you planning to dive, or ride ponies?

From the TSA web site:

"Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside."

So you have to remove the valve from your pony tank regardless of the airline, and regardless of whether it is checked or in your carry-on luggage.

According the Continental Airlines web site:

"An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way) for flights within the U.S./Canada and a $200 service charge (each way) for international flights."

I take this statement to mean that you will be charged for the cylinder if you check the cylinder. But Continental doesn't have to know that your pony is in your carry-on luggage. However, you may have issues with TSA prohibiting your from carrying a pony on-board, arguing that it could be used as a weapon or a club.

I refuse to fly anymore with Continental Airlines. They are not friendly people and their policies are not friendly to divers.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice. The rule for AA flights is similar to Continental except it's $150 each way to Mexico.

Baggage Allowance

I may consider just packing it in the checked suitcase and not saying anything to the airline, as I think the rule was written with a large tank in mind, but I'm sure if I mention it will get applied to the small pony. The other issue is that packing it may exceed the 50lb limit which results in a $200 return charge anyway.

I don't have a dive buddy and with some buddies it's almost like diving solo so I was considering taking my 13 cu ft pony. My tentative plan is to take the pony if I can pack it without a surcharge, otherwise I'll skip it. I have mixed feelings about taking it.

One other thing, I did inquire from Scuba Club Cozumel if they rent pony tanks and have not heard from them. I suspect they don't as I don't recall seeing them on previous stays there.

Adam

I've been going to Scuba Club for years. The divers there are generally friendly and you would have to be a serious hermit to not make new friends and hook up with new dive buddies there.

On the other hand, as a photographer, I have considered bringing my 13-cubic foot pony along because the group often leaves me behind when I am snapping photos. That current is ripping sometimes, and I don't blame them for not fighting the current to wait for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom