300 Foot Dive-How Expensive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverRat:
Man alive! So just how do you guys find the time to MAKE ALL THAT MONEY AND FIND THE TIME TO DIVE YOUR BUTTS OFF TOO? I can see spending 20K no problem though. Since I started diving 3 years ago, just recreational, I've spent I bet almost 10K with my gear (more than the average vaca diver), training up to Divemaster and many local trips (gas, hotels, food, air fills, fees). I've been on 5-6 tropical trips and they usually run 2K minimum. Not a cheap sport if you want to get good training and travel around a bit. Hey not to highjack, but what do you guys think of Advanced Nitrox course for someone like me that wants to do some limited wreck penetration dives and hit extended square profiles in the 120-150 foot range? I'm thinking, at the least, it'll give me an edge and the ability to hit some of the deeper wrecks. And it can't hurt to know deco procedures correct, even if I don't have the desire to go real deep?

I really don't know what I've spent but I do know people that travel the world to dive shallow reefs that have spent far more than I have. I decided early on that I wanted to dive wrecks caves and other sites that didn't require air travel and resorts. That resort and airline money will buy a lot of breathing gas, equipment and training. But...I guess you're really in a spot if you want to travel the world and do the big dives.

The advanced nitrox class is fine but I'd toss in some wreck or cave training along with it if it's penetrations that you want to do.

I know this is an old thread but lets see if someone picks this up. Yes, we can spend thousands of dollars tech diving. But I don't think anyone here would look back at the incredible experiances we've all had and say, "what a waste of money, I wouldn't do that if I had the choice." We spend this money cause we love what we do. I have friends that have spent $40,000 on classic cars and almost as much restoring them. They do it cause it's their passion and so do we. We have better stories at the bar though. They can say they drove around and maybee raced a guy in a BMW. Then we laugh and say "I visited a sunken ship from the 1800's sitting in a depth of water that's basically a building turned upside down." I don't think you can put a price on what we do.

You can put a price on it and people do it all the time.
A lot of us either think it´s worth it or get very good at deluding ourselves into thinking that what we do isn´t THAT expensive...

Yesterday I discovered that I could turn in FF miles for flights to Honduras and the Bay Islands. I thought a week of diving over new years would be fun. My wife asked if we could afford it. My reply was "Whale Sharks" End of discussion. Tickets are being booked.

Diving is just one of the gear and travel intensive sports I do. The other is climbing. You think the airlines get uppity about dive gear you should see them with climbing gear.

I was fine with my cup of coffee this morning till I began reading this thread. Now I'm just PO'd and a little depressed.

I like to think of equipment this way - once its paid for immediately forget the cost. Its alot less taxing and stressful.

I have 4 duals, 6 other various tanks, 2 primary lights, i don't know how many back-up / rec. lights, 5 backplates, 2 with harnesses, 3 with rigging, 8 various regulator set-up, drysuit, several different reels, 3 lift / deco bags, 4 masks, 1 full face, and host more of clips, bungies, straps, extra hoses, etc.

If I truely went back and costed it out, I think I might cry. In luew of crying, I just have a case of selected memory. Far less painful.

Hey it's what we do - Dive! And Dive as often as possible until the money runs out. You know the game where he who dies with the most toys wins - I have that one won already!!! (well when I die anyway)

My wife dives, not much but as long as she can go out on the boat and enjoy a nice day, I can spend all I want on dive gear - as long as there is food in the house......

Life is short and we all work to hard - we deserve it!!!!

ianr33:
Another thread got me thinking about this. What would be the total cost to go from being a recreational diver to being able to do a 300 foot dive in relative safety?

My off the top of my head guess is around $20,000 ????

The technical training. (Advanced Nitrox/Deco. Normoxic Trimix. Hypoxic Trimix) would be around $2500 +gasses,travel etc etc.

Big Doubles,3 stages,5 regulators maybe $3000. Dysuit $1000.

The major expense would presumably be gaining experience.Nobody in their right mind does 300 feet without working up to it .
(Bouncing to 300 feet on an 80 does not count !! )
haha 3000 for doubles , stages and regs. thats ******ed up. alone its going to cost you 3000 for just the doubles. just take the Trimix course. Do them through iantd. makes more sence, and better trainning. Then you have to pay for helium, boat, gas. if you have no grear and go straight to tech with everything,and top of line gear. more like 40 or 50 grand

Tek Adventure Diver:
haha 3000 for doubles , stages and regs. thats ******ed up. alone its going to cost you 3000 for just the doubles. just take the Trimix course. Do them through iantd. makes more sence, and better trainning. Then you have to pay for helium, boat, gas. if you have no grear and go straight to tech with everything,and top of line gear. more like 40 or 50 grand

$3000 for doubles? Do you mean more than one set? You can get a brand new set of HP 130's for $1150. If you take your time and scrounge around you can get a slightly used set of 130's for drastically less and then buy an isolation manifold and bands for under $300. I bet I could get away from it for less than $800 if I wanted. My al80's cost me $400 and that's with a brand new isolation manifold and bands. The tanks only had one hdryo date on them from 2000. I bought them and had them hydro'ed for $80 each.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom