300 bar tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR:
Hello? Your 1st stage is made for 300 bar. What's the problem?

I'm not sure there is a problem. I'm asking because I don't know. 300 bar tanks haven't been on the market here for very long.

To me, 300 bar just sounds like pop-the-reg-off-straight-into-the-back-of-your-head kind of pressure and I'm wondering if people with the experience are having any of this kind of trouble.

Up here where I'm at you will find 70% of the diving schools uses 10L/300 bar on their students

This makes you the guy I wanted to talk to. What can you tell me about the issues you see in practice? Lots of leaking HP hoses? cracked 1st stages? blown manifolds? fractured skulls? that kind of thing....

R..

Diver0001:
I'm not sure there is a problem. I'm asking because I don't know. 300 bar tanks haven't been on the market here for very long.

To me, 300 bar just sounds like pop-the-reg-off-straight-into-the-back-of-your-head kind of pressure and I'm wondering if people with the experience are having any of this kind of trouble.

This makes you the guy I wanted to talk to. What can you tell me about the issues you see in practice? Lots of leaking HP hoses? cracked 1st stages? blown manifolds? fractured skulls? that kind of thing....

R..

.........?........nothing!

What we do hear is the new DIR generation talking about gas compressability. -Which is about the only "problem" I can see, as long as YOU can get a good trim with as little lead as possible around your waist.

But hold on a bit. I know that a lot of dutch divers only use wet suits (Or semi's). I am less happy about a 300 bar set on a wet suit, with only one BCD ( = Your BCD...). You can possibly imagine hanging at 25 meters with a compressed closed cell wet suit, on a wall with a 200 meter drop under you, and suddenly a valve in your BCD decides to pop. With a 300 bar tank you are heavier than with a 200 bar. Possibly too heavy for some configurations, like with a wet suit. Get it?

How about you? As for me if I went over to 200/232 bar in the same size of tanks (12L long Faber), I would only have to add more lead to my waist. It COULD move my point of balance furher down on my body, and such give me possibly better trim. -Or it could if I was a shorter person!

KOMPRESSOR:
.........?........nothing!

grazie said that too. That's two votes for problem-free and a good idea from Bill.

What we do hear is the new DIR generation talking about gas compressability. -Which is about the only "problem" I can see, as long as YOU can get a good trim with as little lead as possible around your waist.

My 32% comes out of a buffer so I don't foresee serious problems in terms of hot fills. I also know that the pressure drop isn't entirely linear in the first 50 bar or so but that's just something you get used to.

How about you?

4mm compressed neoprene drysuit. It's a pretty buoyant suit and even with the twin-12 I still need some weight on my belt. I haven't tried the twin-7 in the water yet but I'll be sure to do that before I make a final decision to be sure I'm not going to have a trim or ballast problem. I don't think I will.

Thanks so far. Keep it coming.

R..

Well, your compressed neoprene dry suit has pretty constant bouancy, so wether you choose 300 bar or 200/232 + more lead should come out the same. Any bigger 300 bar doubles than 2x6 or possibly 2x7 will still make you pretty heavy. -And possibly make you nose heavy.

Keep us posted with your tests :D

I used to distribute Faber. The largest diameter 300 bar cylinder I can find is 178 mm (just under 7") Some of the Americans think there are 300 bar cylinders sold in Europe larger than 178mm. I am asking you if this is true.

I have stated on Scubaboard there is no cylinder larger than 178mm that is a 300 bar cylinder. You can help end this question.

Leadking:
I used to distribute Faber. The largest diameter 300 bar cylinder I can find is 178 mm (just under 7") Some of the Americans think there are 300 bar cylinders sold in Europe larger than 178mm. I am asking you if this is true.

I have stated on Scubaboard there is no cylinder larger than 178mm that is a 300 bar cylinder. You can help end this question.

You can also have 15L/300 bar with 204 mm.

My long Faber 12L/300 bars are 171 mm. You can also get 15L/300 bar with a 204 mm diameter. These are shorter than my 12's, and therefore gives your nose quite a push downwards in the water, besides just being plain ugly H.E.A.V.Y. I don't know if they are by Faber also, but I would presume so.

They are not something to look for, really. Very bad trim with these 15L/300 bar tanks.

KOMPRESSOR:
You can also have 15L/300 bar with 204 mm.

My long Faber 12L/300 bars are 171 mm. You can also get 15L/300 bar with a 204 mm diameter. These are shorter than my 12's, and therefore gives your nose quite a push downwards in the water, besides just being plain ugly H.E.A.V.Y. I don't know if they are by Faber also, but I would presume so.

They are not something to look for, really. Very bad trim with these 15L/300 bar tanks.
I have been to Fabers website and cannot find a 300 bar cylinder over 12L/178mm.
Can you tell me where it is on their website?

royalediver:
I have been to Fabers website and cannot find a 300 bar cylinder over 12L/178mm.
Can you tell me where it is on their website?

Nope. Don't know if they are Fabers. They have the same diameter as the 15/16/18 and 20 liter 200/232 bar. -Again maybe not Faber.

Diver0001:
In January my 15 litre tank will need a hydro and I'm considering selling it and replacing it with a twin-7.

The twin-7 solves a few little problems that I have with the 15 and the format is firmly decided. I already have a larger twin-set and the double-7 is the largest format the instructors I work for will accept for assisting in OW.

Here is my conundrum: I can buy these sets in 232 (3400psi) and 300 bar (4500psi) variants. There are weight differences and I know about gas laws, trim, stability and blah blah blah. That's not my problem.

My problem is that part of me wants to buy the high pressure tanks to get the longer bottom times and part of me is worried about the strain on my 1st stages.

Which part of me should I listen to?

R..

Hello, any new tanks yet? Gotta tell you, I had a wonderful week last week. Diving every day with a 2x7L/300 bar set on my Eclipse! I took out the 2,5 kilo p-weight and used only 4 kilos dropable lead + a cannister in my belt. I'd say about perfect trim with that, and I wear a 7 mm neoprene drysuit.

The main difference from my single long 12L/300 bar was sideway balance. I could lean over at any angle without being pulled over. -Never felt anything like that before! My single 12s will be out for sale pretty soon, when I have the money to put in between for a set of doubles!

KOMPRESSOR:
Hello, any new tanks yet? Gotta tell you, I had a wonderful week last week. Diving every day with a 2x7L/300 bar set on my Eclipse! I took out the 2,5 kilo p-weight and used only 4 kilos dropable lead + a cannister in my belt. I'd say about perfect trim with that, and I wear a 7 mm neoprene drysuit.

The main difference from my single long 12L/300 bar was sideway balance. I could lean over at any angle without being pulled over. -Never felt anything like that before! My single 12s will be out for sale pretty soon, when I have the money to put in between for a set of doubles!

Not yet. It's going to happen around Christmas time. I've settled on the 2x7L/300. It was Lighting Fish's simple suggestion that made the coin fall for me.

R..

Back
Top Bottom