3 weeks in Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bananas75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all, just trying to get some first hand recomendations on a few places that Im going to try and visit. Firstly has anyone dived with Borneo dives out of Sapidan Malaysia, any good, or any other recomendations?

Secondly thinking of heading over to Manado and the isles does anyone have any recomendations for a good outfit there, if possible with accommodation less than 75 dollars a night....

Thirdly thinking of trying to head dowm to PNG but can find very little info on the place, and also struggling to find any beds at less than 150 dollars a night which is a bit pricey for me, so any recomendations down that way too?

Fourthly looking for a bit of a party at the end of the trip, would rather avoid Bali and Kuta, so does any one know of another more relaxed and less touristy spot for a few beers?

I realise the options are probably endless but a few generaly hints wuld be marvellous!

Cheers

Bananas

Hi Bananas,

I can maybe help with some of the points:

1. Not sure on this one. I've stayed at Kapalai, which is fantastic nice but not the cheapest option.

2. There are quite a few options. Friends of mine are big fans of Two Fish Divers, but I believe there are many good options for you in the area.

3. You cold use our dive guide for a bit more info. It has info on many of the dive operators there too. Most of PNG is dived either from Liveaboard or from Dive Resorts, where diving and accommodation are included together. The normal way to get between places is to fly with Air Ninguini.

4. How about the Gili Islands, just off Lombok (the next island over to Bali)? It's a great spot for a chilled party and a bit of relaxation.

Hope that helps dude - ave a great trip.

Cheers UnderwaterAsia

To be honest PNG is looking too expensive, so I think Ill give it a miss this time, so just have to be stuck with malaysia and indonesia- Bummer!

Gilli islands look like the kind of place i need, and also seen that Komodo is just round the corner, so I might try and get a visit in there too.

Only other thing, anyone know how dangerous is indonesia at the moment?

Bananas

If you are careful, I don't think you need to worry to much about 'danger'. It's a huge country and the people are generally extremely warm and friendly. Some areas maybe have problems, of course, but that can be said of any country. You may be greeted by some aggressive touts before the boat to the Gilis, but if you are careful and sensible, then I'm sure no harm will come to you.

You should check the latest travel advice with your Foreign Office though. They will provide up to date advice on where it is safe to travel and where it is not so safe.

Cheers Phil

Aggressive touts I can handle, its the nutters with machine guns I have problems with :D. I'll keep an eye on the foreign office website.

Bananas

PNG Diving - All international flights enter into PNG Via Port Moresby Airport. Unfortunately Air Niugini has the monopoly on flight service and they are not cheap.
From Port Moresby I would head straight to Rabaul and then on to New Ireland, where there are a selection of operators.
You can dive off Port Moresby around Loloata Island but it may not be worth going to PNG just for that.
Any of the northern coastal dives are rewarding and ones around the northern islands are even better.

Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom