3 dives on bucket list..where to first

Where would you go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davey Jonesen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sharm el Shiek

Galapagos

Sipadan

If you've been to these places, especially more than one, give me any tidbits you have like where to stay, what to see, etc.. If you've done more than one or all, tell me your favorite.

I have a non-traditional work schedule that requires me to work a LOT of overtime for 6-8 weeks once every nine months, on average. I’ll have two such periods this year along with a very sizeable raise I just received so I will be taking one of these trips in the not too distant future, maybe two of them.

Galapagos. I've been to Sipadan, and there are too many divers at Sharm el-Sheikh. Plus, governments are being toppled and snorkelers are the plat du jour.

Galapagos. I've been to Sipadan, and there are too many divers at Sharm el Sheik. Plus, governments are being toppled and snorkelers are the plat du jour.

Is that because you haven't been to Galapagos or because you've been to both/all three and it was your favorite?

Is that because you haven't been to Galapagos or because you've been to both/all three and it was your favorite?
I have not been to Galapagos yet, and I have not been to the Red Sea either. (I probably should not have voted.) From what I read, the diving will appeal to divers who enjoy seeing big animals, and Sipadan is perfect for the macro-lover (though we saw hammerheads, the schooling barracuda and jacks are always there, and the place gets filthy with turtles). If Galapagos sounds good to you, put Cocos island on your list too.

This is the age of information. All opinions welcome.
Get a lot more experience before trying any of them - diving, traveling, dealing with gear, etc.

Been to Sipadan and the nearby islands. IMHO it is crazy amazing! You get brilliant macro opportunities at the nearby islands and gorgeous reefs, big schools, and pelagics at Sipadan.
You can mix it with seeing wild orangutans and elephants on the Kinabatangan River.
Beat that!!

Get a lot more experience before trying any of them - diving, traveling, dealing with gear, etc.

I'm not sure why you're stating this, Don. Galapagos, I understand, but why the other two?

If you really have less than 24 dives, then I say it is WAAAAY too early to start your bucket list. Your choices for now should be places you can get more experience. Galapagos is for advanced divers, not beginners, for example.

Just my 2 cents.
robin:D

Robin and Don do make a good point that I overlooked when I answered. Galapagos is probably not ideal for a new diver. I don't think Sipadan is very challenging though; I think a new diver can enjoy a trip there once he gets his buoyancy dialed in.

Back
Top Bottom