3 days in Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asia Mansion and Prince Plaza both have pools for sure. They're on the rooftop level...so good views and away from the pollution. The Asia Mansion pool isn't that big. Ok to cool off, but a PITA for swimming laps.

I got the following photos from a web search...

Asia Mansion II
2334pool.jpg
asian-mansion-II-pool2.JPG

Prince Plaza II
pool-A.gif

Perla Mansion
OTHERS_73124_499205.jpg
perla-mansion-pool2.jpg

BSA Tower
Hotel25305_S01.jpg
2568115620105516216rNlsMx_th.jpg
penthouse-pool.jpg

Thanks so much for these pics. Not sure why they didn't come up when I checked out the links! Maybe I didn't look far enough!
Now just gotta decide which place. I still need to check out The lotus Hotel and Cherry Blossom too though!
I also think the things that you suggested interest me a lot.

great recos there!

@sue: when you get here send a shout out... we might be able to set something up :biggrin:

Jag

That would be FANTASTIC! I think.......what you talkin' bout settin' up? Getting together to tear up the town? :eyebrow: Spending a few days sightseeing? :crafty:
No matter what, thanks and I WILL be contacting you!
Call me and idiot but....I don't know what recos are!

That would be FANTASTIC! I think.......what you talkin' bout settin' up? Getting together to tear up the town? :eyebrow: Spending a few days sightseeing? :crafty:
No matter what, thanks and I WILL be contacting you!
Call me and idiot but....I don't know what recos are!

Recommendations, I believe. :wink:

I can't help with the hotel as I always stay at the Mandarin in Makati. It is about $120. However, most of the activities are based around shopping. Greenbelt is a group of about 5 malls, most very upscale. Greenbelt 1 and 2 have lots of dining choices.

If you want to do knock off shopping fake purses, watches etc go to Greenhills.

I would recommend going to a Philippine Wet Market to experience the true local raw foods, butchers, all types seafood, and produce. It is an experience. If you are brave try some Durian Fruit!

One market I found was Fiesta Market next to Market Market by Fort Bonifacio. It was a group of very inexpensive restaurants and food vendors were you could try many types of local foods cheap. Nice area, cheap eats.

Another option is going to Puerto Galara is about a 1 hour boat ride from Anilao. A lot more going on there then sleep Anilao.

I can't help with the hotel as I always stay at the Mandarin in Makati. It is about $120. However, most of the activities are based around shopping. Greenbelt is a group of about 5 malls, most very upscale. Greenbelt 1 and 2 have lots of dining choices.

If you want to do knock off shopping fake purses, watches etc go to Greenhills.

I would recommend going to a Philippine Wet Market to experience the true local raw foods, butchers, all types seafood, and produce. It is an experience. If you are brave try some Durian Fruit!

One market I found was Fiesta Market next to Market Market by Fort Bonifacio. It was a group of very inexpensive restaurants and food vendors were you could try many types of local foods cheap. Nice area, cheap eats.

Another option is going to Puerto Galara is about a 1 hour boat ride from Anilao. A lot more going on there then sleep Anilao.
Yeah- I'm not really into high-end shopping! Would much rather do like you say and check out these Markets. Get a better "taste" for the Philippines!
I WILL pass on the Durian Fruit though. I've seen things about it on TV and even those who can eat "anything" can't bring themselves to eat THAT!

So how far is Greenhills from Greenbelt? How close is Fort Bonifacio?
Guess I need a detailed street map of the area so I can see just how close or far things are from one another! That is assuming that these things are all fairly close to the Greenbelt area?

A few of the things I'm REALLY interested in doing, are the things that DevonDiver suggested!

Once I get to Anilao I will be with the group and will probably be doing whatever they have planned for us! I will mention being interested in heading over to Puerto Galara and see what kind of answers I get!

Thanks for the added info and suggestions. This helps a lot!

Yeah- I'm not really into high-end shopping! Would much rather do like you say and check out these Markets. Get a better "taste" for the Philippines!

Divisioria is also a great market. I prefer Greenhills though... because when you need to you can escape the crowds and grab a relaxing lunch.

I WILL pass on the Durian Fruit though. I've seen things about it on TV and even those who can eat "anything" can't bring themselves to eat THAT!

You definitely won't want to try the 'Balut' then. If asked, just say "I had it already, no more thanks". :wink:

It's a fertilised duck egg....crunchy with small feathers...

balut2.jpg

Worse than that is the delicacy on Palwan. 'Tamilok' is a long worm that they dig out of the rotten roots of Mangrove trees. Served in a gruel like white sauce. I ate two...they're like foul tasting 'meaty spagetti'.
3197328970_01544cba5c.jpg

So how far is Greenhills from Greenbelt? How close is Fort Bonifacio?
Guess I need a detailed street map of the area so I can see just how close or far things are from one another! That is assuming that these things are all fairly close to the Greenbelt area?

Greenbelt - Greenhills = 30-45mins (depending on traffic)
Greenbelt - Fort Bonafacio = 15-30mins (depending on traffic)

Given the traffic in Manila, ANY journey can take over an hour if you are unlucky. :rofl3:

Have added a map of Makati (thumbnail). It should be 'zoomable'... if it doesn't work on here, just PM me your email and I'll send it via that.

Attachments

• makati-map-by-eldon-thru-google-map-with-labels.jpg
    makati-map-by-eldon-thru-google-map-with-labels.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 65
@ DevonDiver-*choke* yeah I've heard of Balut and am pretty sure I don't want to try THAT either!
Never heard of Timilok though!

So, do you think I may want to rent a car or will public transportation probably be ok! I do plan on one or two of the days doing the Zoobic Safari, JEST, Ocean Adventure,or the Treetop Adventure.

I normally go up to Subic by 'Victory Liner' bus. It takes about 4 hours and is cheap. The buses are air-con and comfortable. It drops off in Olongapo City which 'surrounds' Subic Bay.

Road journey is about 2 hours (dependant on Manila traffic). It cheaper to organise a driver/car than to get a taxi. I don't recommend driving yourself in Manila - it's not for the uninitiated.

Travel around Manila requires a driver. Depending on the time a short trip is a very long trip. I would not even try public transport unless the trip is very short. The traffic is beyond crazy. Do not even think about renting a car.

One thing you should do for the experience is to take a Tricycle ride. Those are the 3 wheeled motorcycles you see everywhere. Very cheap and bouncy.

I wanted to get 2 tricycles, 1 for me and 1 for my buddy. Have them race to a location. The winning driver gets 1000pesos.

I have eaten durian 4 times. Some people love it. Some hate it beyond hate. Very sweet. Strong odor that most would describe as foul. It is an experience to see it opened and to try a small piece. It is hard to believe anything that has such a strong smell is that sweet and creamy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom