3 days in Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyKSue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all! I've been reading posts to see if anyone else has been asking the same questions that I'm about to ask and there are some that are close but....

I am doing a dive trip in Anilao starting May 20th and ending May 30th.
I have vacation from work starting the 14th of May and would really like to do a bit of sightseeing for a few days before starting the dive trip!

I was thinking about flying in on either the 16th or 17th and just staying in the Manila area to check out and get a taste of the "Philippines"

I would appreciate any ideas of:

1. A hotel that would be clean, safe, convenient, and maybe somewhere around the $50 (US dollars) per night-give or take a bit. I don't need fancy. Just a place to keep my dive gear until the dive trip and a place to sleep, shower and change my clothes!
2. Places that might be of interest to go see. I'm not much into museums but, otherwise if there are any cultural things going on I like that kind of stuff. Festivals, fairs, zoos, gardens, hikes, artsy fartsy kind of things are always fun.
3. Night life. I do like to dance and throw back a few, especially when on vacation!
4. So far it looks as if I will be by myself until I get to Anilao, so if there is anyone who would like to and can meet up with me for any part, I would be ever so grateful!
5. Since it is looking like I will be doing this alone, may I ask if I'm being stupid in still wanting to do this by myself? Is it safe for a single old gal to be staying and sightseeing there?

Thanks ahead of time for any input and suggestions any of you can give me!

I've only passed through Manila so I can't give you any suggestions beyond accommodation...

I stayed at the Swagman Hotel as suggested by Gilligan when I did a search for hotels in the area. Their rates fall within your range and include free airport pick-up/drop-off. Location-wise, I got the impression that they were quite central and in a good area. I walked around for a bit exploring and taking pictures and found it to be a safe area.

I'm curious about the Anilao portion of your trip...

Before my last trip, I did research into the area as I hear it has great diving but it seemed that their pricing was quite different from other places in the PI -- meaning it wasn't as cost effective to dive there if one was a single diver. (I think this was based on info about Club Ocellaris.)

If you've found a place in Anilao that doesn't penalize solo travellers financially for lack of a dive buddy, please do share. :)

1. A hotel that would be clean, safe, convenient, and maybe somewhere around the $50 (US dollars) per night-give or take a bit. I don't need fancy. Just a place to keep my dive gear until the dive trip and a place to sleep, shower and change my clothes!

Condotels offer great value and cheap price. They are very nice - I actually live in one of them. The 4 listed below are all within 5 minutes walk of "Greenbelt' which is a great area for shopping, restaurants and bars.

Prince Plaza II Condotel Makati: Condo Rental Philippines
BSA Mansion Condotel | Apartment Condominium Makati City, Philippines
Perla Mansion in Makati City, Philippines
Asian Mansion II Condotel | Makati Condotel

2. Places that might be of interest to go see. I'm not much into museums but, otherwise if there are any cultural things going on I like that kind of stuff. Festivals, fairs, zoos, gardens, hikes, artsy fartsy kind of things are always fun.

There isn't a wide diversity of that kind of stuff in Manila. You can go to Intramuros, which has some historical buildingsand gardens related to WWII and the Philippine independence.

The best attractions are a few hours drive north - in Subic Bay. These attractions are great fun and very high quality:

Zoobic Safari - Tigers, local wildlife etc.
Ocean Adventures - Dolphin shows, marine life, various acts and shows.
Treetop Adventure - Canopy tour through some of the best preserved primary jungle in the world.
JEST (Jungle Environment Survival Training) - Former US military jungle survival school (trained US Navy and SEALs) that is now open to the public. Excellent jungle walks and interesting inter-active demos of survival skills.

3. Night life. I do like to dance and throw back a few, especially when on vacation!

The Makati area has lots of nightlife. At Greenbelt (and Glorietta nextdoor) there are numerous bars; Hardrock Cafe, TGI Fridays, Nu-Vo (trendy winebar), Barcino (tapas and wine), Cafe Havana (latin and dance music) and M-Cafe (cocktails). Just down the road (2 mins by taxi) is the Martini Bar at the Mandarin Hotel. Very stylish and popular.

The 'sleazy' area is in P.Burgos Street. Mostly girly-bars - but you can have a giggle there if you like the 'ladyboy shows' or 'midget boxing'.

4. So far it looks as if I will be by myself until I get to Anilao, so if there is anyone who would like to and can meet up with me for any part, I would be ever so grateful!

Sure... I am always happy to meet fellow SB'ers when my schedule allows. I am in Makati, Manila.

5. Since it is looking like I will be doing this alone, may I ask if I'm being stupid in still wanting to do this by myself? Is it safe for a single old gal to be staying and sightseeing there?

Very safe. Just be sensible and follow the precautions you would use anywhere in the world. Don't flash your money or expensive jewellery around etc. Don't get too drunk and defenceless. Don't wander into bad areas (as with any city worldwide).

You may also want to check out City Garden Suites. I have not stayed there but it has some good reviews

If you have any interest in WWII history a day trip over to Corregidor Island is a must.

Hi

you might try a superior room at Cherry Blossoms hotel in malate. Right next to Robinson's mall and large clean rooms - Peso 1950 a night, about $45.

The best things to do for a day would be Coprregidor island - really amazing if you are interested in history. Full day tours start at 0800 and finish at abotu 1600. About $35 including lunch and includes a 26km high speed boat ride to the island.

Cheers

Rick

@ annasea- I'm doing a 10 day trip with a group. I have a roomie already but she just couldn't take the extra days to come early. If you would like I will send you the link with the info about the trip. I'm sure that if you signed up they would try to room you with another gal! If by some strange chance you sign up maybe you could come early and hang with me a day or two? That would be so :cool3:

@DevonDiver-thanks for all those suggestions. Everyone of them looked like stuff I would/will enjoy. Now I just gotta pick and choose. If it's ok I may send you some PM's and get more info on these place and depending on where I end up staying on how best to get there. Bus, taxi, rent a car....? I have also been looking on tripadvisor and there are some vacation rentals on there that looked pretty nice. I'm thinking I'd probably like to stay where there is a pool. I did notice that the last place you listed has one but no pics of it! I WILL be getting in touch to see if there is a time we could meet up for any of these adventures or even just a drink! :beer:
Makes me feel much better about coming alone after "talking" with you too! Thanks!

@Gilligan and rickthediver- I will look for a link on Corregidor Island and check that out as an option too!

Thanks everyone!

Asia Mansion and Prince Plaza both have pools for sure. They're on the rooftop level...so good views and away from the pollution. The Asia Mansion pool isn't that big. Ok to cool off, but a PITA for swimming laps.

I got the following photos from a web search...

Asia Mansion II
2334pool.jpg
asian-mansion-II-pool2.JPG

Prince Plaza II
pool-A.gif

Perla Mansion
OTHERS_73124_499205.jpg
perla-mansion-pool2.jpg

BSA Tower
Hotel25305_S01.jpg
2568115620105516216rNlsMx_th.jpg
penthouse-pool.jpg

@ annasea- I'm doing a 10 day trip with a group. I have a roomie already but she just couldn't take the extra days to come early. If you would like I will send you the link with the info about the trip. I'm sure that if you signed up they would try to room you with another gal! If by some strange chance you sign up maybe you could come early and hang with me a day or two? That would be so :cool3:

Unfortunately, I'm in limbo at the moment so I can't make any plans for anything yet. Thanks for the offer of the link though! Even though I can't make this particular trip, I'd be interested in having the link to see what's being offered and at what price. Please do pass it on.

Cherry Blossoms is good and cheap, also very secure.

Days out, Corregidor as mentioned, and also the Mt Pinatubo volcano is doable from Manila, and saves you having to stay in the sex-tourist hell that is Angeles to do it. Great hike up, and a cobalt-blue lake to swim in...lovely!

Get to Coron if you get chance. Nice wrecks and Barracuda Lake is a fascinating dive...the closest you'd get to being in outer space.

Back
Top Bottom