(3/21/05) Cruise ship damages reef and almost runs down dive party

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That looks like a great dive. New Zealand? I guess it's on my life list now!

I agree Matt. I have never had the desire to go on a cruise. I'd much rather be in a place where I am away from the throngs of people. I'd rather fly into a spot, than cruise.

archman:
Oh wow, that's sweet! A "natural" shipwreck, and portions of the ship are as shallow as 36 feet! Too bad it's in bloody New Zealand...

Very nice website! Thanks for posting the link!

I think its great that it is in New Zealand.

:eyebrow:

Wow what a report. This is just bad PR for the cruise lines. I hope they learn from this and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I had to post up in that thread. I've been a long time member of Cruise Critic and a short time in scuba (not even certified till next week). But zydecocruiser is crazy

archman:
Oh wow, that's sweet! A "natural" shipwreck, and portions of the ship are as shallow as 36 feet! Too bad it's in bloody New Zealand...

Very nice website! Thanks for posting the link!

Wow, I might just have to stop by and dive it the next time I'm in Asia :)

There's a guy here, Azza, who does NZ wreck diving. Maybe he knows something about this site.

MoonWrasse:
Wow, I might just have to stop by and dive it the next time I'm in Asia :)

There's a guy here, Azza, who does NZ wreck diving. Maybe he knows something about this site.

Indeed Azza is not the only person here who dives wrecks in NZ. I'm sure that he has plenty of knowledge of the Lermontov, given that he is based out of Wellington (a ferry trip away from the Marlborough sounds).
It is an amazing divesite. If you do decide to come and dive the Lermontov, then I recommend that you get in touch with the Lermontov Lodge. This offers accomodation in the relatively remote bay that the wreck lies in.
lermantovprop.jpg

doole:
Cruise ships and this planet are incompatible.
I couldn't agree more.I have nothing against the mindless hordes who flock to these floating gluttony fests, I just wish they'd quit ruining the diving for the people who want to enjoy the great expanse of nature, so they can greatly expand their waistlines. I've been diving Cozumel for over15 years, the cruise lines have ruined the island, every daythe streets are mobbed with the masses of idiots looking for that last hard rock cafe t-shirt and then in the saddest example of Pavlovian reflex they evacuate the island at noon so they can get their free lunch on the buffet boat and then they rush back out to the island so they can crowd up the dive boats. I won't even go onto the bad diving I have witnessed from thepeople of this mindset. Cozumel. Grand Caymen. Curusao. the list goes on all I can say is It pays to go to the small out of the way spots, for now at least , they haven't gotten so greedy that they destroy the natural resources that made them so exotic, all in order to stick a few more dollars in their pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom