(3/21/05) Cruise ship damages reef and almost runs down dive party

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that is an eye opener. They are considering expanding Panama City Beach's tourism by opening our Port to cruise ships. I'll make sure to pass a copy over to my friends at the Port and the Tourist Development Council. Thanks!

I've dove a few places where cruise ships are regular occurances, Nassau Bahamas comes to mind. I've been there three times, once on a cruise ship, I will never go back. All of the other places that attract the cruise ships are to my way of thinking places to avoid.

Bad news is some of the places I like going to are starting to try and attract cruise ships. Word has it that Roatan is trying to get them to come there. Its lots of money for the island, but the number of people they bring in causes more problems than its worth. If they do, I'll write of Roatan too.

My idea of the perfect cruise ship is one that holds no more than 20 guests, and has an area on the back where you slip into your gear and they fill the tanks. Eat, sleep, dive.

Bob

RPanick:
My idea of the perfect cruise ship is one that holds no more than 20 guests, and has an area on the back where you slip into your gear and they fill the tanks. Eat, sleep, dive.
Smells like a liveaboard! :wink:

archman:
Unfortunately, older cruise ships are simply relocated to less active homeports, or ports where environmental regulations are reduced. Some of these "veteran" boats are in Texas and other Gulf seaports like Mobile, hooray for us.

I do wonder about the possibility about sinking such a vessel as a wreck. All those compartments sure would fun to toot around in.

Whilst probably not as large, we have what I believe is the largest diveable cruiseship wreck in the world (at recreational depths) in the Marlborough Sounds in New Zealand.
http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/lermontov.htm

RPanick:
I've dove a few places where cruise ships are regular occurances, Nassau Bahamas comes to mind. I've been there three times, once on a cruise ship, I will never go back. All of the other places that attract the cruise ships are to my way of thinking places to avoid.

Bad news is some of the places I like going to are starting to try and attract cruise ships. Word has it that Roatan is trying to get them to come there. Its lots of money for the island, but the number of people they bring in causes more problems than its worth. If they do, I'll write of Roatan too.

Bob

My guess would be that in the not to distant future, you won't have anyplace to go diving.

After reading all of these Pod People posts and posts like this has really left a sour taste in my mouth for the cruise industry. I have been on 3, and was going to be going on a 4th this january. I have decided to cancel it and not go on another cruise again. I am just going to take my money and fly into somewhere and spend a week instead. What is even more un-encouraging is that the cruise line industry is getting more travelled as years go by.

Matt

Xman:
Whilst probably not as large, we have what I believe is the largest diveable cruiseship wreck in the world (at recreational depths) in the Marlborough Sounds in New Zealand.
http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/lermontov.htm

Oh wow, that's sweet! A "natural" shipwreck, and portions of the ship are as shallow as 36 feet! Too bad it's in bloody New Zealand...

Very nice website! Thanks for posting the link!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom