3/2 or 5/4 wetsuit for 75 degree water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to be diving off the coast of North Carolina this July. The water temps should be around 75 and my plans are to go with a 5/4 with a 5/3 bibbed hood.

buy the 5/4mm for sure. I went diving in Hawaii in December, the water was about 77 to 78. I wore a 4/3 and got a little chilly on the 2 tank dives. My brother had on his 5/4 and normally gets cold just as fast as I do, and he said he was nice and warm. I was jealous. A 5/4 is a good all around suit for moderate water temps. And since you have a 3mm shorty and a drysuit, the 5/4 will fill the gap perfectly.

It's very individual, I think.

I have dived in 75 degree water in both a 5 mil suit and a 3 mil with and without a 2 mil hooded vest, and multiple dives per day in all three arrangements. I was warm enough in all.

I would think your decision would be based in part on where else you might go -- if you would be more likely to go to places with warmer water, buy the 3 mil and perhaps a hooded vest because you will use them more. If not, buy the 5 mil and be pretty sure you will be quite comfortable.

I have the 5/4 Bare, and really like it. It might seem like too much at first, but I'll bet you will be glad to have it on repetitive dives.

Thanks Guys,
We'll get the 5/4. I just much prefer diving with as little on as possible. We actually thought about bringing our dry suits, as they are shells . . . .

When I think about it, even when we in bonaire, and the water was in the 80's, after 14 days of diving 3-4 days in a row with only one day off between we were starting to get cold on every dive with a 3 mil shorty. Almost like my body core couldn't keep its temperature up . . .

Darryl

When we dove in Fiji the water was 85 and the locals were all wearing 5mm..........we dove with skin suits and were just fine. In Hawaii over Christmas it was 75 and all the locals were wearing 5 mm or more............everyone else 3/2. I just think the locals get used to the warm water and as soon as it dips below 75 its all of a sudden cold.

Happy Diving

I might add.............we are selling a ton of 3/2's right now and not many 5's or 7's.

Happy Diving

Or you could just use that drysuit you already have and adjust the undergarmets. I dive dry year round and just wear shorts under it when the water is warm. :D

Chad

Back
Top Bottom