2nd Percentile SAC Rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Psh you know your gas consumption. I am a very meticulous diver, so would always gas plan. But if you don’t need to then that’s what works for you.
Gas consumption depends on several deciding factors especially in ow dive!!!!!
Jeeze Centrals, I guess you have never met people who just rent tanks and use their own equipment to go diving. Not everybody dives using a dive operator, even in Asia. I've been on boats where divers did deco dives while others did NDL dives from dive centers. You just weren't there
LOL.
anyone can claim anything on line!
Any names?

Psh you know your gas consumption. I am a very meticulous diver, so would always gas plan. But if you don’t need to then that’s what works for you.

It would be correct to say yes I know my gas consumption when not in distress on a nice dive. This dive was with the current but once ascending was against the current. Picked up a dropped camera and lights for another diver. What if my 1st stage blew an o ring? lol
It's only 45m or 150 feet. ( PS BSAC dive leader for recreational diving depth is 50m on air when I did my courses ) Just don't exceed that NDL and do one of those short 10 min deco dives on a single tank at 150 feet lol Dang if I only used 20 bar to get that camera. So low on air lol.

45M CAMERA RETRIEVAL.jpg

Gas consumption depends on several deciding factors especially in ow dive!!!!!

LOL.
anyone can claim anything on line!
Any names?
As long as the diver knows how those factors affect their consumption, it’s all good.

As long as the diver knows how those factors affect their consumption, it’s all good.
It is NOT that simple!!!!
My best is 6L per min with a single tank in very benign condition.
SAC is just a rough estimate, no more.

It is NOT that simple!!!! My best is 6L per min with a single tank in very benign condition. SAC is just a rough estimate, no more.

Yup do agree with you on that. It will be interesting to see what my gas consumption will be in Lombok and Lembongan on some fast drift dives if need to make a lot of movements. Often I just get my buoyancy perfect and float along not moving at all.
Still for one hour NDL dives you and I would often end a dive with more than half a tank. My lowest ever sac rate was 7.18l/min on a shallow benign dive. Doubt I can get below 7.

Would you not agree that Kaylee as a new diver is even doing well to know about gas consumption as part of her dive planning? Not many new OW divers have a clue about gas management or planning.

Yup do agree with you on that. It will be interesting to see what my gas consumption will be in Lombok and Lembongan on some fast drift dives if need to make a lot of movements. Often I just get my buoyancy perfect and float along not moving at all.
Still for one hour NDL dives you and I would often end a dive with more than half a tank. My lowest ever sac rate was 7.18l/min on a shallow benign dive. Doubt I can get below 7.

Would you not agree that Kaylee as a new diver is even doing well to know about gas consumption as part of her dive planning? Not many new OW divers have a clue about gas management or planning.
6L per min is nothing to write home about. I have came across plenty of divers with much lower rate.
Do not compare yourself with I!
The best gas plan for new diver is to keep track the reading on the content gauge!!! Very simple.

When I do gas planning practice I take my SAC rate and estimated dive time, work in a higher SAC for exertion/emergencies, and then choose the gas that I’d want for the specific dive.
Eta- personally I’d choose the gas based on depth and time, obviously figuring in the MOD and what would be the best for off gassing
But, if you don’t do it in detail like that and it works for you- go all out. I may be wrong in how I go about it bc I never got classes on it.

The best gas plan for new diver is to keep track the reading on the content gauge!!! Very simple.
And that teaches me nothing. I like to know the why and how of everything, so just looking at the gauge isn’t good enough for me.

And that teaches me nothing. I like to know the why and how of everything, so just looking at the gauge isn’t good enough for me.
Take one step at a time.
Out of gas is the most common mistake that divers made regardless of experiences.
How do you plan against something unexpected eg change of current, equipment issue, buddy issue etc etc.
How much reserve you allocated to yourself/buddy?
Every dive is difference because of change of under water conditions.
If you are diving solo then make sure you have redundancy to bail you out.

Take one step at a time.
Out of gas is the most common mistake that divers made regardless of experiences.
How do you plan against something unexpected eg change of current, equipment issue, buddy issue etc etc.
How much reserve you allocated to yourself/buddy?
Every dive is difference because of change of under water conditions.
If you are diving solo then make sure you have redundancy to bail you out.
Reserve, I wouldn’t know unless I knew my buddy’s consumption rate. See my longer post above for details on how I factor things into planning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom