2nd hand Faber assessment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oz rule is interesting. I’m no metallurgist but it seems like that’s a lot of stress on the tank.

Oz rule is interesting. I’m no metallurgist but it seems like that’s a lot of stress on the tank.
I agree... but any changes to the current requirements to bring them more in line with international Best Practice will likely be resisted by vested interests with a nice annual hydro test income stream!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The friend selling it took it in for an updated hydro and visual; passed with flying colours.

The markings are still confusing me somewhat, perhaps because it is of older stock and modern Fabers have different markings. Do all 15L Fabers come 232 bar with an M25 neck thread or are there 300 bar tanks as well? Apologies if the question seems somewhat ignorant but to this day I had predominantly been using 12L longs so I just want to be sure that I kit it out with the correct valve config.
I would like to see the specs to that tank. I nay be wrong but isnt a LP95 a 15 liter tank? Would be nice to see the differences in the 2 tanks. alloy wall thickness etc..

Generally I would say a modern steel tank would have a service life of 40+ years.
I think the issue is more taking the tanks to the elastic limit 8 times vs 40+ times during hydro tests...
Unless AU market Faber tanks are built to a higher specification?

It would probably be pretty impossible to do a valid study, but I'd be curious to see the MTBF of a tank that receives an annual hydro, vs a tank that receives hydro every 5 years. It would be easy for a manufacturer to do, but the sample size would still be pretty small unfortunately.

For those that don't know or can't be assed looking
MTBF
Mean time between failures

I'm conducting the tests at the moment

No hydros and testing elasticity as much as my nerves will bear

100cf = 12L ish 120cf = 15L ish at 232 barg

The crown is has more working material than the walls. Which is why marking must be on the crown.

I’m referring to the stretch-not the stamp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom