2nd annual Turkey Fry at Venice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TONIGHT
WINDS BECOMING EAST AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.
BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.

SATURDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS SHIFTING TO SOUTH IN THE
AFTERNOON...EXCEPT BECOMING SOUTHWEST NEAR THE COAST. SEAS 2 FEET.
BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.

I think I heard the weather forcast to be around 75 or so....

Sounds nice actually!

Ann

From the east is a good thing, should be calmer surf. As far as the weather in general, If it's half as good as today was it will be beautiful :wink: Winds are almost non existance right now here at the Homestead.

I'll start packing here shortly and will be at the site around 830-900am.

See ya' there :eyebrow:

Wildbill:cop_2:

We are all set! Just look for the van that resembles the Beverly Hillbillies!

Gees what scuba divers won't do for fun!

We have 1 table does anyone have another?

See you at 9ish!

I have some plates and forks Walter brought to a previous party. I will bring those. You can all thank him next time you all see him!

Let me be the first to post a trip report.
The turkey was AWESOME! AWESOME AWESOME! The meeting of new buddies, and chatting with old friends (Some really OLD :D), always is a pleasure. The diving, well, the weather was beautiful, the sky was blue, but I opted to sit out as the sinuses refused to cooperate. Good thing, I guess, as I understand the vis was low enough that there were some face plants!
I didn't see any treasure in the way of teeth, but I did find a partial Meg while searching along the waters edge. Hermit Crab found a few teeth on the beach.
Jim is forever "hired" to fry turkey and hotdogs.
Great day! Thanks everybody for making it special.

What Jenny said, I say we nominate Jim as the "Offical SB Turkey Fryer" :eyebrow:

Someone even (I don't remember who) found a mask that the storms turned up that I believe to be from the now infamous Scuba Duck inaugural VB dive. For those that were not there, it was an ill-fated day for many a diver. The surf was really rough but many braved it and some sacrificed gear to the shark tooth gods…i.e. Masks, fins, snorkels etc…. :11: I'll try to post a pic of it to see if it can be identified.

Anyway, Great Food, Greater time visiting with friends and meeting new SB members.

I decided not to get wet after the report from Simom and ReefGuy after their "Recon Dive". Basically it was stated that you could see the bottom about the time your mask touched it :D

Wildbill:cop_2:

It wasnt as bad as you make out, it was worse. For the 22mins i was down there i could see my fingers, guage or compass anytime i pushed them into my face - otherwise it was a light and dark siltout (actually i saw more during a lights out drill during my intro training the day before). The only thing i worried about what running into something that might sting (saw scorpion fish the other week and Jeff said some kind of nasty shrimp (thumb crushers???) recently too) - didnt fancy that. Even when we told people the viz was bad and it wasnt worth it, they still suited up and returned within 10 mins or so :wink: I think Jeff and i were the only ones who didnt try the inovative "digging with the mask" method of tooth hunting - i found lots of stuff by feel, but no teeth, lots of sand and stones though!!

I enjoyed the sumptious feast even if the diving was off colour (greenish). Good to see all of you again, i think i even met one or two new faces too - although i apologise in advance as i will have already forgotten your names (cant remember them well). Oh and the water was a balmy 73F, after the initial shock it felt ok in my 3mm :wink:

Simon, those were Mantis Shrimp, aka "Thumbsplitter". They are nasty. I think 3" vis would be optimistic. Great day, though. Caught up with a lot of friends and made some new ones.

I think this is the first time we've been to VB where we haven't found anything in the water, but a meg out of it! Congrats Jenny :)

Hey all!

It was great meeting the gang today, albeit I didn't even get in the water. That was okay, as the camraderie on the beach more than made up for the lack of viz that some reported on, even if he can't remember names :11:

Thanks again and I look forward to many more adventures down here with all of you!

Jeff

Hey yawl! Sometimes being a temporarily cripple diver is worth it. I'm glad to have met the new folks who came down (Jeff, Simon and Jean) as well as some of the other familiar faces that I've gotten to know an dive with.

MANY Thanks to Anne and Jim for providing the incredible fried turkey!!

Jenny and my wife provided some outragous pies!!

I can't wait to be able to put on gear and hop in the water again this spring.. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom