2nd Annual Lake Pleasant Day May 2nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stnichols

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Howdy all.

The 2nd Annual Lake Pleasant Days is in the planning stages. I do some help with the planning and talk with Terry Gerber the event planner and founder quite reguarly. I've been asked to set the post here so we can get some imput on what was right, wrong with last years and what do you think can be done to improve it for next year?

Terry put this together last year with no budget and almost no outside help. There is some money this year and some more volunteers I understand so it should be a better one. Growing pains? Hell yeah. We know we won't be all things to all people but we can try to at least to make as many people happy as we can.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Stephen

There was a follow up thread on the show from last year. I think one of the main inputs was promotion to non divers. About 90% of the attendees were either working the show, staff, or already certified divers there for the activities. Getting some word out to interested non-divers would of been a huge plus. I think the only attendees that I saw that did not fall into those above catagories "stumbled on it out of curiousity while at the lake fishing or camping"

Another input I thought was good was having the shops set up the displays somewhere not directly along the water line since that blocked divers from going in the water unless they 'cut through' the booths.

Not sure of the cost aspect of it, but maybe putting an add on the back of the daily lake pass for a month or two prior would draw some interest. and the admin here said they would plug an add for the show on the forum.

I'll be there again this year with my 'mini-booth' (at least that's what I call it compared to the ginormous displays some of the big LDS's had up :)

email me if you need any help - submersionscuba (at) gmail (dot) com

I remember that thread. I thought I would start a new one since people would know that their suggestions are being listen and looked at by the planners of the event.

Terry never knew that this board even existed until I told him. The people here know Lake Pleasant and dive it. I can not think about a better place to look for suggestions.

I'll do my best to also keep everyone here what is being talked about on the planning end.

In many ways last years event was one of the best kept secrets in my opinion. The word needs to get out.

Stephen

Can you do a Discover Scuba in open water, or is it for Confined water only?

That may we a way to get non-divers which will bring money to the LDS'

Can you do a Discover Scuba in open water, or is it for Confined water only?

That may we a way to get non-divers which will bring money to the LDS'

My Discover Scuba was in open water... but I'm not sure if it was 'according to the rules' or not

From the PADI website about Discover Scuba:
Once you feel comfortable, your instructor will take you in the pool to help you learn basic scuba skills. Then, if you like, you can go with your instructor for a short discovery dive up to 40 feet/ 12 metres. Most Discover Scuba Diving experiences about an hour or two.

Since SSI has a Try Scuba - Open Water course listed, I'm guessing it's similar

On Catalina Island they do open water discover scuba classes so I don't see why it could not be done at the lake. Really that would be up to the individual shops at the event if they wanted to do something like that

Stephen

Does anyone have a link for last years event, that I can reference and see the details?

I would hav attended it if I had even heard about it. The only thing I ever heard about it was a post on youtube. after finding that I tried searching for info and couldn't find any. The video of the sheriffs dept doing the dives looked cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom