288 Lake - Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

288 Lake should update their (new) website.. No underwater pics..? No air fills..? What's in there? (From a new diver perspective) And if I read it correctly, only Saturday and Sunday diving for $15? You can hit Mammoth Lake for $20 and get fills and everything else for $20. Sure, it's going to cost you 45 more miles but...

Drop 288 to $10 and open it during the week and it sounds much more attractive, at least to me..

288 has turned out to be a great place to fit in a couple of dives on a weekend. The location to central Houston is good (approx 20 minutes from downtown). Trace and Jeremey are very nice guys. The viz has good at about 15-20 ft. The facilities do lack tanks or air fills but the area is well maintained and has some trees for shade.

There are lots of fish and some are already freindly. Thus, I think feeding them is not a good idea.

vanessar

O.k. I have 5 posts. Now I can post a link.

288 LAKE

I was looking for this link the other day and could not locate. It is now in my favorites.

Thank you,

Vanessar

You can hit Mammoth Lake for $20 and get fills and everything else for $20. Sure, it's going to cost you 45 more miles but...

Drop 288 to $10 and open it during the week and it sounds much more attractive, at least to me..

I do also like ML but it is great to have choices. Sometimes the difference in drive time would keep me from getting in the water on a Sat or Sun.

ML does have more 'stuff' to "see". However, the viz at ML is still evolving. I am hoping the fine folks are able to improve the viz over time. I applaud their efforts at creating a local scuba park and the shop there is very nice.

Either way I am happy we can choose between 2 (or 3 places if you count the Blue Lagoon) to dive in locally.

vanessar

288 Lake should update their (new) website.. No underwater pics..? No air fills..? What's in there? (From a new diver perspective) And if I read it correctly, only Saturday and Sunday diving for $15? You can hit Mammoth Lake for $20 and get fills and everything else for $20. Sure, it's going to cost you 45 more miles but...

Why would I drive another 45 miles each way (25mpg = 3.5g * 2.50 = $8.75 more) to pay $20 entrance instead of $15 (actually 288 lets off duty DMs in for $7.50) to have 10 foot lower viz on average? And the $20 does not include fills, you pay for them.

I have my own tanks so lack of fill station is a non-issue for me. Weekend hours are fine as I work weekdays like most people. I realize situations vary but if it made economic sense for them to have a compressor or be open on weekdays, they would.

I work a 9/80 schedule, so I'd love to see it open at least on Fridays. But, that's just me. :D

I spoke to them about being open Friday afternoons. They said that if enough people expressed interest that they would do it for the summer.

Back
Top Bottom