(28 MAY 05) No Safe Harbor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Osos (San Luis Obispo County) California
# of dives
500 - 999
No Safe Harbor: An important new book on the Wave Dancer tragedy. On October 8, 2002, the sport diving community had its biggest tragedy ever. Peter Hughes' Wave Dancer capsized during Hurricane Iris, killing seventeen divers from the Richmond, Virginia Dive club and three local residents. Moored next to the Wave Dancer, the Belize Aggressor weathered the storm. Joe Burnworth, who was aboard the Aggressor, spent many months interviewing participants and researching the story, to produce this well written yet chilling account of a tragedy that could have-- and should have -- been prevented.

I've heard so many different versions and opinions about this tragedy that reading this book interests me.

Does anybody know anything more about this book? Anyone planning to read it?

I didn't know this book was out. Thanks for the heads-up. I'd like to read it.

detroit diver:
I didn't know this book was out. Thanks for the heads-up. I'd like to read it.

Actually it's NOT out yet. It's suppose to be out in June. I first heard about it with the advertisement via Undercurrent for pre-release sales. Sorry if my previous post was misleading.

This book is actually due to be on store shelves on June 20. It can be pre-ordered through a few sites, Undercurrent.org, which has the editor's review of the book itself, Amazon.com, and Barnes and Noble.com, to name a few. There may be more, or it will be available in stores on June 20. I know these facts because my husband, Ray Mars, was one of the victims of this tragedy. I have been in contact with Joe Burnworth, the author, for about 2 years now, and he has done extensive research on the capsizing, including at least 2 trips to Belize to interview the survivors from the crew, and trips to Richmond, Va. to speak to the survivors from the Richmond Dive Club. He and his wife were on the Belize Aggressor, and therefore saw first-hand what happened. It affected him so much that he wanted to try and discover what really happened. All of the reports issued so far, including the IMMARBE report, though much anticipated and hoped for, have not given the clear, complete answer. The IMMARBE report at least states that the divers, the victims, were not at fault, as so many have been quick to believe. There have been so many postings at various sites blaming only the victims themselves, calling them "rich, spoiled divers" who demanded their quota of dives, no matter the consequence. Those who made these postings did not know any of the victims, so I have never been able to figure out why they decided to be so judgemental, saying what they would do, etc. They have no real knowledge of the actual facts, or the events leading up to the tragedy. These divers were completely at the mercy of Peter Hughes and Phillip Martin, and it cost them their lives. Martin survived, oddly enough. Isn't the captain supposed to be the last one off the ship? It appears he was among the first, if not the actual first. Many facts did indeed come out in the IMMARBE report, but it was extremely kind to Peter Hughes, and I believe this was due to Hughes' money and monetary influence on the tourist industry in Belize. Belize is an extremely poor, thirld-world country, I know this because we had previously visited there, and many of its' residents live in nothing more than shacks. The governing body of Belize could not afford to put any blame on Peter Hughes, lest his boats stop contributing so much to the Belizean economy.
Not all of the truth has ever been told, so those of you who think you already know everything from any of the previous articles, just do not. Joe Burnworth tells the real story, from the victims' side, a very different story from the so-called official report, and the whining from Hughes himself about how much this tragedy has cost him. The actual amount of that is zero. I ask all of you to please read this book, because it could give you a very different idea of the real facts. My hope is that other divers never find themselves in such an horrific situation, helpless, and trapped to drown. The thought of the horror that Ray experienced before his death has haunted me constantly since October 8, 2001. I cannot even begin to describe the effect his death has had on so very many people. None of us will ever recover, or hope to. That has only been made so much worse by the numerous postings made by those who know nothing about the actual event, and have spoken so very cruelly of our loved ones. I urge all of you to read this book, and then form your own opinions. My sincere wish is to prevent another such tragedy from happening to anyone else.

I am sorry for you loss, I know nothing about the accident so the book should be interesting to see.

I preordered the book and got my copy from Amazon a couple of days ago. I just finished it this morning and I’m going to go back and read a couple of parts again a little latter.

The book is well written and detailed with a good set of illustrations. And it’s an important book for scuba divers.

I’ve done a lot of live-aboards and if I had been given the information that the passengers of the Wave Dancer were given I mostly like would have done just exactly what they did and stayed on the boat. Of course now we all know better.

And from now on I’ll also make sure that I can always put my hands on a dive light. Had one of the three surviving passengers not had a light handy then none of them would have been able to get out of the boat.

If I can offer any solace to Mrs. Mars and the rest of the victims’ families, it is that those of us in the diving community will learn from the tragedy and we will not forget those that lost their lives in this accident.
Luke

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss Teresa and having to put up with so much misinformation that gets spread around following all tragedies.

It sounds like this book might educate some as to how to better protect themselves on the water at all times. I’ve been boating for over 40 years and I keep a small dive light on me at all times after dark anytime I’m on the water. I’ve had people tease me about touching my dive light before I go to sleep on my 36’ cabin cruiser tied up in a calm dock. In an effort to make everyone feel safe and secure at sea, there is not nearly enough emphasis on emergency preparedness both mentally and physically of the passengers.

I ordered mine through Undercurrent and have yet to recieve it.

I've done a handful of live aboards, and I simply have trusted the captain and crew to do the right thing.

It sounds like I stand to gain some valuable safety information from reading this book.

EricJ:
I ordered mine through Undercurrent and have yet to recieve it.

I've done a handful of live aboards, and I simply have trusted the captain and crew to do the right thing.

It sounds like I stand to gain some valuable safety information from reading this book.
I’ve not only spent plenty of time captaining my own boat on the ocean, but also making extended overwater flights in single engine aircraft, and I’m always brutally honest with my passengers that I can’t be counted on to help them at all times. Every passenger should be able to grab a flotation device by feel in a matter of seconds, know where a working light is, and know all of the methods of exit from any enclosed space. There’s a reason commercial and Navy ships have plenty of battery-powered lights hanging in the companionways and almost every space on the boat.

I would love to see someone open a toned down version of the Navy dunk tank crash simulator so civilians could get an idea how hectic and disorientating it can be if a ship or aircraft turns turtle in the water. If not for the experience of one MBNA executive last week in NYC, I honestly think the company would have lost 6 executives when their copter went down. Jimmy Buffett never stops talking about how his time in the Navy simulator saved his life 4 years later when he flipped his seaplane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom