25 yard UW swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great! Now ... you can actually complete 450 yards in 10 minutes doing the side-stroke. Give it a try. If you can do each lap (50 yds.) in one minute you'll be done with a minute to spare. Be sure to take full advantage of your push off at each turn.

We don't have to do this for PADI, but I gave it a try in a tiny pool on vacation. Did about 40 feet easily but got tired of doing all the turns. Out of curiosity, is there a specific way to use your arms? It would seem arm stroke is the key since no fins are used.

Your legs are stronger than your arms, use a sidestroke with a scissors kick, that is very efficient and more than fast enough.

If you were talking about the underwater swim, breast stroke is about your only choice, a flutter kick without fins is not good for a whole lot more than keeping your feet up and your body level.

Your legs are stronger than your arms, use a sidestroke with a scissors kick, that is very efficient and more than fast enough.

If you were talking about the underwater swim, breast stroke is about your only choice, a flutter kick without fins is not good for a whole lot more than keeping your feet up and your body level.

I can see where this makes sense. I never really thought about swimming under water as I was always snorkelling with fins.

Send me a PM if you want any suggestions... I'm a Red Cross WSI with several hundred hours of classroom instruction time and am happy to help. Swimming technique is a lot like fitness... everybody who goes in a pool (or weight room) is an expert and few know what they're talking about.

Last edited:
I got certified in '90. Memory isn't the best, so who knows. I do know that I was able to hold my breath longer back then. Was also a bit more streamlined. Maybe that's why I don't remember it - was too easy?

I noticed you have 0-24 dives. Is that true? Do you really feel ready to be a DM?

When one is invited, one should accept. My number of dives is now inaccurate, but it reflected the dives since getting back into diving last year. I wouldn't confuse the skill level of the diver with the number of dives. I know several "experienced" divers who have never stepped off a boat in 5' seas. My shop has a very stringent program for its DMCs. Part of that is running an offshore charter. Not sure exactly what this has to do with a 25 yard UW swim. Training is training and should be conducted early and often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom