25 yard UW swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is the one requirement that is causing me the most issues. Is wearing some sort of eye protection allowed? I can't maintain a straight course to save my life - either running into walls or ropes on either side of the lane. So far, I've been able to make it to about half the distance. I don't think this is a matter of cardio stamina. I routinely run 5 miles (about 3 days a week) and run 2 miles in 14:39 during an unmotivated PT test. I'm going to try some goggles during my next attempt. Anyone have some techniques to share?

On a side note, what is the reason for the 25 yard under water swim? Ever since the first OW class, we are told not to hold our breath. After overcoming this physiological reflex, I now have to train myself to hold my breath under water. I can't think of any reason to hold your breath while scuba diving, and especially not during a horizontal movement. I can understand a vertical dive down to retrieve an object, but...

This is the one requirement that is causing me the most issues. Is wearing some sort of eye protection allowed? I can't maintain a straight course to save my life - either running into walls or ropes on either side of the lane. So far, I've been able to make it to about half the distance. I don't think this is a matter of cardio stamina. I routinely run 5 miles (about 3 days a week) and run 2 miles in 14:39 during an unmotivated PT test. I'm going to try some goggles during my next attempt. Anyone have some techniques to share?

On a side note, what is the reason for the 25 yard under water swim? Ever since the first OW class, we are told not to hold our breath. After overcoming this physiological reflex, I now have to train myself to hold my breath under water. I can't think of any reason to hold your breath while scuba diving, and especially not during a horizontal movement. I can understand a vertical dive down to retrieve an object, but...
This is in the going pro forum...are you going for NAUI DM? The OW dive students have to do the UW swim (NAUI), so as an instructor, I try to demonstrate 30 to 50 yards depending on the pool, to show them how easy it should be...

Yes, this is for NAUI DM, which is why it's in the Going Pro forum.

Doing something because it's a requirement for someone else isn't a reason for it to be a requirement for anyone. I do not recall OW students having to do an underwater swim.

Yes, this is for NAUI DM, which is why it's in the Going Pro forum.

Doing something because it's a requirement for someone else isn't a reason for it to be a requirement for anyone. I do not recall OW students having to do an underwater swim.

Ok... I'm NOT an NAUI pro, but I am an Instructor for another agency, so I think I can speak to your latter statement.

At the Pro level you are expected to be able to handle task loading or physical demands that non-Pros do not have to cope with. For example, in PADI DM candidates are required to buddy breathe off a single regulator while swapping their dive gear u/w. Is ANY of that required at any lower level of certification? No. But at DM this is a test of how well DMCs handle problem solving and task loading so that when their charges have a problem, THEY can solve it.

I can understand a skill like that, but the underwater swimming without an air source makes no sense. Seems to me to just be an artificial stamina test, of which you could create a several that are practical in scuba or skin diving. I don't know of anyone who will be swimming underwater with no equipment in the recreational realm.

Ever since the first OW class, we are told not to hold our breath

There is no risk of AGE if your depth is contstant

I don't know of anyone who will be swimming underwater with no equipment in the recreational realm

OOG

Depth is only constant if the surface is flat. I haven't seen a flat surface on any ocean dive yet. Usually, it's 3 to 4 ft seas. Not that there is a great risk, but the admonition remains regarding holding your breath on scuba.

If I'm OOG, I'm not going to swim horizontally in any direction - I'm heading for the surface.

So, anyone have some techniques? From polling the NSW dudes here, I'm told to start in the deep end of the pool, drop down to about 10 ft and swim upward as well as horizontal. Oh, and get some goggles.

If I'm OOG, I'm not going to swim horizontally in any direction - I'm heading for the surface

Swimming to your buddy would be better

As Walter implied, the best technique is to fin slowly... although this may seem counter-intuitive, big muscles like your thighs and buttocks consume oxygen fast when you use them. Think efficiency not power

I'm told to start in the deep end of the pool, drop down to about 10 ft and swim upward as well as horizontal. Oh, and get some goggles.

Do you want to pass a pool test, or be a better diver?

Swimming to your buddy would be better

I will agree to this one, though I'm concerned having my buddy 25 yards away.

As Walter implied, the best technique is to fin slowly... although this may seem counter-intuitive, big muscles like your thighs and buttocks consume oxygen fast when you use them. Think efficiency not power
Do you want to pass a pool test, or be a better diver?

Rather focus on the diving thing, but there are gates you have to negotiate, thus the focus on UW swimming. I can do the distance on the surface no problem - doing 1000m every other day right now. It that whole not breathing and not running into walls that I'm having trouble with.

Back
Top Bottom