24 Hours underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquanaut or Aquanut?:D Only kidding. Good luck in your attempt.

I would add that you could just dive dry and avoid the whole pickle skin thing all together. Just a thought.

I have read that DCI becomes an issue when pressure is reduced by half. I don't think that would be possible at that depth, in fact I would *guess* that it wouldn't be much different than going flying after living at sea level.

ETA:

4msw = 1.4 ATA
sea level = 1.0 ATA (28% decrease in pressure)
going to 8,000 ft elevation = 0.767 ATA (23% decrease in pressure)

Airlines are generally pressurized to an equivalent pressure of around 8K ft.

If I got that wrong lemme know :)

I do hope you will be using a dry suit. If the water in the Aquarium isn't 98.6F you'll have major heat loss issues, especially if you are the least bit inactive.

If you want to look like a Prune just fly to Seattle. :D And for those that are politically correct Dried Plum. :wink:

Gary D.

SNorman:
I have read that DCI becomes an issue when pressure is reduced by half. I don't think that would be possible at that depth, in fact I would *guess* that it wouldn't be much different than going flying after living at sea level.

If I got that wrong lemme know :)
Right concept, but your "pressure reduced by half" limit is a bit dated.

The 2 to 1 pressure ratio (using air) is the old rule of thumb developed by Haldane in his original goat-bending experiments. That model would allow direct ascent after unlimited exposure to 33' depth, or 14.7psig as the sandhog workers in caissons would measure it.

As we have become more risk adverse, the acceptable ratio has been backed off with each new model. The current bends depth in most models to today is in the low 20-25' foot range --- this corresponds to a ratio around 1.7 to 1.

The pressure at 8,000' is about 75% of sea level pressure. So sea level to 8,000' ascent is a pressure change of about 1.3 to 1.

4 meter to sea level is about 1.4 to one ---- as you pointed out, it is only slightly more than the seal level to 8,000' ascent, and well below the 1.7 to one saturation bends ratio.

Gosh, great amount of replies, thanks a lof for the feedback.
I will be using a facemask to be able to have a snooze....
the tanks will be at 22-23 C. and Maximum depth 4 meters.

I don't know if to have 30 minutes break each 6 hours, or a decent break of 90 minutes or so after 12 hours.

Thansk a lot for the feedback...

Cheers

Khoo Swee Chiow did it for 9 days in December 2005. There's not too many words but some pictures of his challenge on his website

http://www.daretodream.com.sg/expeditions.htm

He had a bell so was able to have a 5 min break every hour without coming to the surface. Can you organise something similar for your event?

Back
Top Bottom