2022 Bonaire Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Figured I would start this up for all the early planners out there.

Just pulled the trigger on two weeks in the middle of July 2022. Wed. to Wed. VRBO in Sabadeco area. AA, Philly to Miami to Bonaire. Family of 5, all divers, the kids got certified on Bonaire in 2016, so it their second trip, number 7 or 8 for the wife and I. Fighting the urge to start a count down timer.

Can't afford that, paying for five and all.

"I'm a man of means by no means"

However, we will be empty nesters in a year or so, then back to the 2-3 trips for two.

However, we will be empty nesters in a year or so, then back to the 2-3 trips for two.

But a man needs his own space by himself a couple of times a year :p

Feb 12 to Mar 6, 2022. Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn (so sad he passed ). Me and the wife, United inbound, Delta out. We postponed our Feb 2021 trip to 2022.

Feb 12 to Mar 6, 2022. Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn (so sad he passed ). Me and the wife, United inbound, Delta out. We postponed our Feb 2021 trip to 2022.
Just curious, how did that work out price wise?

We booked 1st class on one way's and it was the same price as united round trip. Still expensive ($500 more than last trip) but at least I am getting something for it. The return on united was priced really high.

Haven't set a firm date yet, but girl and I are contemplating a return to Bonaire in Feb of 2022. I have been looking over options and we will probably just stay at Buddy Dive again. May not be the cheapest, but the convenience is hard to beat. Breakfast, a 1 bdrm, unlimited shore diving, she gets to snorkel, etc. Looks like airfare is up since our trip in August, but there are more flights now. Friday to Friday or Monday to Monday are lowest fares.
We are headed to Roatan for our first ever trip in about 4 weeks. Depends on how we like it vs Bonaire. We will make a trip in Feb, just not sure what location.

Recreational scuba for those of us who prefer ocean diving yet are in land-locked locations is expensive; for a family, that's a big price tag. For a solo traveler, that often means spending family money on a personal indulgence. I like to see cost analyses on trip reports for this reason; people need to know the price tag of the trips they're looking at.

Lord willing and providing, I hope to be there the latter half of February 2022. I chose 2 weeks hoping it'll be like 2 trips but only paying for airfare once. My planning is in this thread, asking for people's input on budget Bonaire trips.

I chose Wed. - Wed. (and saved well > $700 airfare vs. Sat. to Sat.), a non-waterfront provider (Aqua Viva Suites' cheapest room) right beside a reputable dive op. that offers 100-cf tanks (V.I.P. Divers) toward the south end of Kralendijk (heretofore I've stayed to the north - Dive Hut, Eden Beach Resort, Sand Dollar, Buddy Dive Resort) where I'd like to see how I like being based.

If you travel with a group, I imagine VRBO, AirBnB and 'villas' start to make more sense? If someone cooks and you eat in rather than out, that can be a big factor. Dedicated dive resorts like Buddy Dive Resort tend to assume dual occupancy packages, with options for more. I wonder what's the best approach to planning a trip for 5?

So for us it generally works out best to do a VRBO, since places that do packages tend to be based on two or four or six, and they don't generally discount for a larger group. I do miss the total vacation resort experience a bit, but the cost difference is often insurmountable. A truck and a decent rental for a week can be had for around $2500 on Bonaire, unlimited air packages are around $30 a day or 900 for the week for five of us. A three bedroom at Buddy's is $850 pp times 6 for $5100 a week they might discount it by 3-4 hundred for five, so your paying $1100 for breakfast for five for a week. Plus you get more space, more privacy at a VRBO and often much nicer accoutrements and a private pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom