2016 Cozumel Tipping Etiquette?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taking a different look at this, I sometimes think a reasonable tip added into the price of a dive would be easier.
Blah! I'd rather shore dive.

On my part, I wouldn't have to worry about what denomination of bills I bring along (actually on my list of things to take with me the morning of a dive) and I wouldn't have to worry that my dive buddy didn't bring anything less than a $50 bill and he's going to ask me to loan it to him!

This is the main reason why I tip at the end of my trip. I'm never at my very best first thing in the morning anyways and I almost certainly NEVER have the right bill denominations for a tip AND have the correct money for my brunch (and tip) at the SI. The ONLY time I tip on the day of a dive is when I have been advised the night prior that one of the regular crew is being replaced by a contract DM or captain for the day...then that one individual only gets a tip so that the owner doesn't have to try and hunt him down to give him the money three months after the fact. :) Of course, if he forgets to tell me, then I'm fairly certain that he does hunt them down because he's honest like that.

I rather enjoy being able to settle up at the end of the week and just add the tip to the credit card.

I rather enjoy being able to settle up at the end of the week and just add the tip to the credit card.
Yeah, if you're supposed to have the same captain & DM for the week, or however long you're booking with them. It's convenient, and helps encourage the crew to give top service all week. I suppose it'd be appropriate to mention your intentions to the crew so they can trust you to not stiff them.

This would only work for those who do book for several days. Some pod people end on on some boats, and some others may only dive a day at a time.

Most operations run multiple boats and crew have days off, so I never assume I'm going to have the same crew all week. So, I tip daily. I don't worry who I give it to as its my understanding the crew pool and split tips. I just got back from Cozumel. I brought five 20s for daily tips and kept them separate from the rest of my spending money. Each day, I grabbed a bill and brought it on board. Once the boat moored at the dock, i gave the tip to either the captain or dm. Not very difficult at all.

I do put my diving on my credit card, but keep the tip as a separate cash payment.

I think this is still true: the credit card company charges a merchant fees when a customer's cc is used. Would the merchant (dive op) pay this from their business fees, from the tip money, or from both? Thought this was a reason waiters/waitresses preferred cash tips.

Blah! I'd rather shore dive.

That solves the whole issue of the thread! lol

If my guys put a tip jar on the boat they would not have a job - I find that tacky and tasteless

Tips cannot be added to the dive bill for a variety of tax and accounting reasons - it's not that cut and dry.

I think this is still true: the credit card company charges a merchant fees when a customer's cc is used. Would the merchant (dive op) pay this from their business fees, from the tip money, or from both? Thought this was a reason waiters/waitresses preferred cash tips.

That solves the whole issue of the thread! lol
It is also because if the tip was put on the credit card or as part of the bill - the business has to report those tips as income here in MX anyway - credit card payments go directly into a business bank account here and as such are reported as income which incurs the 16% sales tax liability, income tax and other fees - tips are separate and don't have anything to do with a crews wages from the business standpoint - tips are optional but appreciated if the customer wants to give them

Thanks Christi. To clarify, if you tip, tip the crew in cash, don't put in on your credit card.

If I ferry over this fall from PDC, I'll give your shop a call and sorry for the incident mentioned in another thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom