2016 Cozumel Tipping Etiquette?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to know if your 'all natural' sunscreen is Maya Solar from Super Aki. That was the SPF 45 stuff that burned the crap out of me in the tournament.

I would kill to find the Hawaiian Tropic pump spray biodegradeable SPF 50 they used to sell in Mega. That stuff worked through a whole dive day. Use it regular and no one know I was in Mexico AGAIN....

I actually don't remember the details, but I can tell you in a couple of weeks. It was labeled as SPF 50 and "Bio". The packaging doesn't look like "Maya Solar" shows online. I think it was probably from Chedraui.

Perhaps this just goes to show that "natural" sunscreens available on the island may be worthless.

Edit: here we go... Bloqueador Solar Biodegradable KiiN

bloqueador-solar-ecologico-biodegradable-23220-MLM20243777483_022015-O.jpg

Edit edit: Oh, and my wife is pretty certain that Oil of Cinnamon was on the ingredients list. That essential oil is both a skin irritant and can cause significant photosensitization. It'd be a terrible choice in a sunscreen. The only ingredient listed at the manufacturer's website is titanium dioxide, the only sun-blocking agent in the stuff. Titanium (di)oxide can be a great sunblocker, but would only work well when you're bright white. Rub it in to the point where you can't see it and it'll do very little.

Last edited:
The divemasters must LOVE you!

Pesos.

Of the 4 shops that we've dove with, it's always been 1/2 DM, 1/2 Captain.

I've asked DM's and captains with whom I'm comfortable enough to talk money, and that's what they've said. They also tend to tip out the tank sherpas and some other staff whom I rarely see.

It's sometimes funny at the end of a dive, when one divers pulls out some cash to tip and others start fidgeting around like "Am I supposed to tip?" and you know they want to ask "What are you tipping?"

I am not flashy about tipping, but I do usually say something about "thanks for a great dive", "thanks for keeping us alive", or "so sorry that tank got dropped on your mask and computer, and I hope the fractured foot doesn't keep you out of work long" while passing some banknotes. People who don't want to tip aren't going to, but for those who aren't sure if it's appropriate that's my way of helping them see that it is certainly accepted and not inappropriate.

You tip the server (like the DM on a dive boat) and how they all decide to split it up between the bar tenders and buss boys is up to them.

My belief is that the traditional etiquette is that one deals directly with the captain since he's king of the boat. We nearly always dive with our close friend DM. When we know the captain well, we give the tip to the captain as a sign of respect (and I have a ton of respect for some of those guys). If we don't know the captain well, we give the tip to the DM since we trust him to do what's right.

People who don't want to tip aren't going to

While we are all talking about tipping etiquette... I can't believe any diver is not going to tip unless someone did something that really P'd them off. I've seen new divers from AI's who are diving on "resort dollars" or "resort credits" think their AI experience encompasses the in-house dive op as well but I wonder just how many people who may dive for one day or something grab their gear(or leave the rental gear behind) screw-the-crew, and just walk away. That is unthinkable but I guess it takes all kinds to make a world.

While we are all talking about tipping etiquette... I can't believe any diver is not going to tip unless someone did something that really P'd them off. I've seen new divers from AI's who are diving on "resort dollars" or "resort credits" think their AI experience encompasses the in-house dive op as well but I wonder just how many people who may dive for one day or something grab their gear(or leave the rental gear behind) screw-the-crew, and just walk away. That is unthinkable but I guess it takes all kinds to make a world

I guess this leads me back to that old saying "There's an A-hole on every boat and if you can't tell who it is it may be you!

I can't believe any diver is not going to tip unless someone did something that really P'd them off.

I think that some people are simply oblivious to the custom, particularly new divers. Some may also assume that considering the expensive cost of the activity, including the price of the dives, the gear, and the travel, that the staff are handsomely paid.

Most hunters and fisherpeople know that you tip guides if they have tried to help you have an enjoyable time. I believe the same principal would apply to dive masters and captains. The amount of tip varies quite a bit from person to person and guides appreciate any and all tips.

I think that some people are simply oblivious to the custom, particularly new divers. Some may also assume that considering the expensive cost of the activity, including the price of the dives, the gear, and the travel, that the staff are handsomely paid.

Someone else mentioned in an earlier post that when they first started, they seriously under-tipped. I felt embarrassed for a long time (2 years to be exact), until I ran into the dive master that I had positively screwed, and was finally able to make it right. I explained that we were new, and I just didn't know any better. As always, he was incredibly gracious.

I don't make a big production in tipping, but I'm not all that discreet either, in case someone is as naïve as I was.

I can't believe any diver is not going to tip unless someone did something that really P'd them off..

Believe it. Tipping just isn't a thing at all in some cultures. Those whose cultures include this practice tend to presume that it's universal, but to those whose cultures don't include it, it's weird and mysterious.

I do put my diving on my credit card, but keep the tip as a separate cash payment.

This is what I do as well. I keep track if I dive with someone different one day and I'll either chase them down myself or leave them a sealed envelope. It depends on whether or not I'm confident the office will turn the envelope over as I've indicated on the envelope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom