2013 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Touche:D By the way, does Miami have enough non-convict players to field a team this year?
Well, I think there's one less. My truck was stolen two nights ago and was on it's way to Miami when it flipped in Homestead. Some gear is missing I believe from the flip on to it's side. He went to the hospital, on arrest but the cops haven't confirmed or denied his affiliation with UM. :D

Sorry about the truck

Heard on sports radio that the school and NCAA could not come up with enough evidence to justify tougher penalty. :shakehead:

Not if I can help it. USC's colors are too close to FSU's:D

Hehe...I beg to differ and I think you might be surprised. :wink:

What is the hurt on putting a mock-up color scheme on the computer and see how it looks? :D

---------- Post added August 29th, 2013 at 10:52 AM ----------

I never said that. I only asked questions. You said UGA is overrated, and I wanted to know (starting by asking about last year) which years you thought that was the case. The most common misconception is centered around 2008, when Stafford/Moreno/Ellerbe were on the cover of SI, when we had 28 players go down for the season who were expected to start or contribute significantly. No team is coming back from that, and that's the last time I can remember that we were "overrated". Maybe you can share your thoughts.

I was actually referring to Insta-Gator's statement on that reference. LOL.

The '08 season was built on the momentum of '07 season where you guys went from #13 in the preseason to #2 in the final rankings. Much like SC went from #25 to #6 in 2011 hence SC got the #1 nod last year in preseason ranking and '09 went from #13 to not ranked. Ranking is an ebb and flow business so I really would not take the polls too seriously because of all the controversy and biases.

With a more holistic approach, part of the reasoning, as I have stated earlier is that Georgia never seems to get over the hurdle and win the big one. Given the talents that you guys horde down there (It is virtually impossible to pluck a kid out of GA. Though we did pry Jarvis Jones away from GA but had to send him back to you guys, much to my dismay but that is a different rant that I have. Jones is a great LB and better kid. We could've used him in our piss poor defense last year), there is no reason why UGA does not compete for SEC Championship like LSU and Bama.

With Georgia's schedule this year, I would be surprised (not saying it won't happen) if UGA finishes the season ranked higher than the preseason AP #5 ranking.

Just my two cents.

Best of luck to you guys this football season.

As a sidebar, I do like Uga the mascot. :cool2:

---------- Post added August 29th, 2013 at 10:55 AM ----------

The true Gator believes that the only two good things to ever came out of Ga are I-75 and I-95. Why, there's even a Wikipedia page about the rivalry: Florida?Georgia football rivalry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia We call it the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party and it's held in Jacksonville rather than alternate between the two schools because of the intensity of the rivalry. It's the only game I feel we truly have to win.

Did not know that. Tks for the info Doc. I have always thought that your biggest rival is FSU.

Last edited:
Did not know that. Tks for the info Doc. I have always thought that your biggest rival is FSU.
FS Who? :D :D :D FSU started out as a girl's school and it's remained consistent throughout the years. They're actually a great rivalry and while it can get ugly after a game, it's nowhere near the rancor engendered by UF and UGa. My father in law was Bobby Bowden's coach in college and they enjoyed a great friendship. I went to pick up my son from "Papa's" house only to be called to the Florida room. There was my toddler sitting on Bobby's knee. Papa, loving a good joke, had Harrison repeat one of the first words he ever learned: "Go Gators!" He did it with great gusto with his fist in the air and both men just laughed and laughed, encouraging my son to keep repeating it. When PaPa passed away twelve years later, Bobby came down to give the eulogy. We walked up to a much older (wiser?) Harrison, gave him a hug and said "Don't do that to me today, Buster." I could never fault their coach, though I don't know who's coaching them now. That being said, my daughter just started school there this past week. I just sent her this for her apartment since she's taking a Zombie class:

51-AK6plA4L.jpg

A lot of talk goes on about the "big name" football schools. Here's a commentary from the Gainesville Sun's, Pat Dooley, ...

5. How did Vanderbilt get good?A lot of credit needs to go to coach Bobby Johnson, who had the program to the point where it was competitive. He left behind players who could play in the SEC and coach James Franklin has given them an edge.
The question still remains — can the Commodores maintain the success of last year when they won nine games?
We're about to find out.

So, any Commodore fans out there want to chat up their team?

FS Who? :D :D :D FSU started out as a girl's school and it's remained consistent throughout the years. They're actually a great rivalry and while it can get ugly after a game, it's nowhere near the rancor engendered by UF and UGa. My father in law was Bobby Bowden's coach in college and they enjoyed a great friendship. I went to pick up my son from "Papa's" house only to be called to the Florida room. There was my toddler sitting on Bobby's knee. Papa, loving a good joke, had Harrison repeat one of the first words he ever learned: "Go Gators!" He did it with great gusto with his fist in the air and both men just laughed and laughed, encouraging my son to keep repeating it. When PaPa passed away twelve years later, Bobby came down to give the eulogy. We walked up to a much older (wiser?) Harrison, gave him a hug and said "Don't do that to me today, Buster." I could never fault their coach, though I don't know who's coaching them now. That being said, my daughter just started school there this past week. I just sent her this for her apartment since she's taking a Zombie class:

Haha! Nice! Excellent story. Tks for sharing doc. Like him or not, Bobby Bowden is a Hall of Fame coach. He sounds like a great guy too.

I am surprised that you let your daughter enrolled at Tallahassee.

Dude, it's OK: it's a girl's school! :D :D :D I am surprised that you let your daughter enrolled at Tallahassee.
I might tease about any particular school, but I bear no real animosity towards any of them: not even Georgia. Where you go to school is a personal decision, and I support my daughter making her own decisions. Of course, that means that one of us will be calling the other at least once a year just to crow a bit. That's OK. I'm way ahead in the teasing department and hopefully my Gators will keep me there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom