2012 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

find me a pound of hundreds? :D

Got in a nice 4.6 mile run today, according to mapmyrun.com. No longer bringing a watch.. running by feel.. and some dragging by the dogs! LOL

super excited in the most quiet way.. Hermit Crab started the C25K program yesterday. Me and the dogs tagged along. Mud run coming up, and she wants to be ready! Whoo hoo!!

That's great Jenny, keep it up!

Well I'm back in a scuba fitness challenge thread again. it has been a long, long time since I've done it, but I have no choice but to work on my fitness. I have not been taking care of my diabetes and the doctor wanted to put me on insulin. I shot it down mainly because I felt that if I do what I'm supposed to do I can have managable controll.

So about a month ago I started watching what I eat. I've drastically cut the amount of breads I eat. Especially tortillas. When I eat bread it is mostly whole wheat, and when I do eat a tortillas(NOT EVERYDAY) it is only one. I also started doing 30 minute walks almost everyday. A week ago I started incorporating 30 minute swims. First swim day I just swam. No counting laps/distance. 2nd day I swam for 35.5 minutes for a distance of .56 miles. Today my 3rd of swimming I did my .56 miles in 31.5 minutes.

So in the past month, My sugar readings are dropping, and I have lost 15 lbs. The dietician was impressed with what I have done so far especially with the sugar readings. Next month I see a pharmacologist, and in April I will be seeing my primary again. I'm looking forward to seeing the primary with a significant improvement in weight loss and blood glucose readings.

DiverG,

Congratulations on achieving what you have so far and in having the will to see it continue to improve.

It's those types of results that make this so worthwhile. A year ago, my doctor told me during my physical that I was in better shape than I was ten years before. This past November during my last physical (and just two months into my current fitness plan), he said that the change in my cholesteral levels was outstanding considering I had never taken any medication to help them out. My ratio was always good, however the levels of good cholesteral were extremely low. In the past several years, I have increased the level of good cholesteral by 1.6. According to the doctor, when he was in medical school, when people had levels as low as mine, the best you could expect was a 10% increase, where I am up 60% which makes my ratio excellent. And with that, my BP is also much improved (again with no medication).

So keep it up! We have all had our issues to overcome, and hopefully we all will!

DiverG, welcome back! :happywave:

good hearing or positive results from your changes in lifestyle. Amazing how even small changes can have a significant impact.

Got some diving in since I last posted, so that is my workouts of late.

Hi - I am a runner and a scuba newbie. I run about 20 miles a week every week and last week did my first ocean dives. Now I'm up to 12 dives total - wohoo! The dive master told me that since I'm a runner I will tend to suck more air than non-runners. Is this true or was he just trying to make me feel better for being the first one out on every dive??

Well, I don't need to lose any weight, but I do need to get off me arse and off the couch. So, thank you Jenny, I've decided to take up the C25K program.

Posting it here only makes it more tangible and knowing y'all will be looking over my shoulder will motivate me. :D

Weclome Garydemo and Instagator!!!
Garydemo- I'm a runner too, but not up to the numbers you post.. someday.. someday...
(I can be a bit blunt so forgive me).. your DM is full of himself. Let's put this in another view. As a runner, are you a more efficient runner being fit or unfit? I know, stupid question.. but ANY exercise that you are more fit, you are a better conserver of energy and the oxygen exchange that happens during a breath is more efficient. Scuba is no different. As a fit person you are more efficient underwater. The fact that you are a new diver, for now, pretty much negates all that. Sorry. Once you get more comfortable in the water, get your buoyancy control figured out and become streamlined, your air consumption will drop dramatically. Maybe Coach Izzy can explain it better, he's the fitness guru here.

Gary, glad you are starting the C25K program!!! Awesoome!!

Well already have a 35 minute swim workout in for the day. I initially planned on doing another lap/distance swim, but while waiting for a lane to open up I was watching some swimmers doing sprints. Decided I would do sprints instead. Not sure if you can call my speed sprints though. :) Mine were mainly 25 yd sprints with a few 50 yd ones thrown in. Rest between sprints ranged from 30 seconds to a minute. Planning on doing a 20-30 minute walk later today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom