2012 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snuck in a run this morning. Thought I went farther than my pedometer said. Will have to check mapmyrun.com for verification. 2.7 miles in 35 min. that's a 13 min mile.. very impressive for me! Last summer I was doing 15 min. miles!

Hello, SBers!! I'm so happy to see a 2012 SB thread as I'm just starting to dig out of a hole and love having somewhere to join in with a group of great people :)

I have set some new goals and am slowly changing my life in baby steps to get there without getting overwhelmed. Yesterday I started taking my younger Ridgeback, MatildaLily, to the beach early for a nice 40+ minute walk as my older girl, Dora, can't do those any more thanks to arthritis. Later in the day the three of us head down again for a shorter walk and a nice swim. I'm hoping it will help me on the road back to being fitter, help Tilly lose a few kgs and keep Dora flexible.

And it's a pretty nice way to start the day
FEB12_149kja.jpg

I hope I can get to Australia before I die. May have to spend the last dime doing so and be buried there (but not anytime soon. :snicker: )

Alcina!!! So good to see you here! It's been wayyyyy too long!

I checked my run on mapmyrun.com, and my pedometer and the website are very close. Guess I need to get longer distances in.

Jenny, what's your goal, distance, time or calories burned?

My goals? Get out and enjoy the run!

I mostly run by feel. I only took my watch today cause I had to get back home. Mostly I just track my path on the website to get an idea of how far I went and determine how I feel whether it kicked my butt, or if my recovery is quick. Sometimes I can only do a short run, so I try to speed it up, but I am needing to get a good long run in.. 5+ miles.. Would like to get another 8 mile run in soon. Mind you, on those long run, I am very slow...dogs don't even get tired...

My short term goal is to set a new PR doing a 5K, my current is my first 5K time, 36:37. Long term is to run a marathon next year...hoping to find a 1/2 (that I can afford) to run in the fall and finish in under 3hrs. But need to get some serious miles in. And I am doing it minimalist..

Oh, and on my days off, diving somehow takes precedence. :)

When my joints and muscles get accustom to these walks I'll consider changing to a run (at least part of the time.) I really should find a way (acquire proper equipment?) to track my resting blood pressure, heart rate and respiratory rate to see if and by how much it improves over time. My goal is to become 'more healthy' but defining and measuring that will give me milestones to achieve and feel good about.

I was looking at the settings on Endomondo and it show's my weight at 165.4 pounds. How did it know? I did not put that in. :idk: Technology can be spooky.

Hi everybody,

Wow it's been a while since I posted here but have recently increased exercise and am motivating to try to get into better shape.

Doing regular wt lifting and have moved the cardio from machines to the pavement. Am slowly trying to increase the pace.

Yesterday had a pretty good day

A short swim (about 600 yards)
45 minute leg work out with free weights
3 km (about 2 mile) run.

Looking forward to more today :)

Got in some good cross training this morning. Rode the bike 4 miles, then got a 1.5 mile run in and lifted some weights. On top of all that, it was in the low 60's this morning, nary a blow of wind and blue skies. Absolutely beautiful day to be out and enjoying this Florida weather.

Alcina, read the book, Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall.. it may change your mind about our bodies being designed to run. How else were we able to kill prey on foot?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom