2010 Spring Megadive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks.

Sometime this week, rates might be worked out. I'm fighting for a good dive rate and possibly a slightly discounted camping rate. Right now, their specials tended to give more discounts on diving than camping. The biggest challenge is getting group rates without a single payment, but we'll see what happens.

When I do get those details worked out, I will create an event on Facebook open to anyone and everyone, for those who use both SB and FB.

We should perhaps talk about how to handle campsite locations. If several college dive clubs come out, we can either let everyone camp wherever, or try to set aside one section as more for college club members.

4382742368_a989aa8332_o.gif

Area on far right with gray lines along the road is roughly where we will be. We can reserve up the river as needed. On th eleft of that area, the black line is the bridge that leads to the Eye side stairs and the grassy area leading to the pavilion which we can rent if we want. There are some campsites back here if you wanted to be secluded, but you have to walk to them. The grassy area would be great for the kids to go have marshmallow fights, or for trebuchet competitions.

The green dot is the proposed spot for the central meeting/cooking area.

There is another campsite by the footbridge that is also a big location for large tents and things. There is one turn around spot halfway between the two big sites if you needed to turn around.

Regarding the common/camping area. I haven't been in that area of the park in a long time, but might it be better to put the common area farther to the left, down that dead end road? More control over traffic, is what I am thinking?

I know I want dibs on a campspot along the dead end...hopefully that'll diminish some of the dust. But I'll get there early on Friday anyhow...so i should be good as far as spots anyhow.
'Fool- That was the other good area to put it. I'm ok with either place, 99% of the reason for posting the map was to get input on the location for that.

I was thinking the center would be best as we can post the banner on the pavillion I am bringing and it be very obvious who has the area. It will also be in the middle of the camp area so nobody has to walk half a mile to get there. I am thinking we should reserve everything along the river from the dead end to the second road. If we end up not needing the space, we can back off a bit. With all the clubs invited/penciled in, we will probably need it! Most of us hardcore SB'ers get there on Friday anyway, but If we start setting up at the ends, then fill in as people arrive we should be good. I'll get the 20x20, the 10x10, and my tent up as soon as possible. I have 2 banners now so we can definitely stake our claims!

BTW, there also are spots along the Devil Run in case anybody wants to be close, but still away from the noise, er,... partyi,... FESTIVITIES.

Ok, just got off the phone with Cathy! We have the Beaver's Landing area, which is a 100 person+ group campsite. We normally end up with about 30. Which is Turkey Roost. We have the area immedieately around the first road reserved, but NOT the New Devil Pavillion. I am bringing a 20x20 setup. If we need the pavillion, we can always snag it if it's not reserved. I can also expand the one I am bringing with tarps. I have reserved Turkey Roost for the Halloween weekend, October 29-31. At that event, we will need to decide on the follwing April date. Hopefully, we will be adding a lot more campers for the upcoming MD's and can fill up the Turkey Roost area completely. The more fun we have at this, the more we will attract people to it. Next step, since I now have 3, anyone who has a kilt, bring it! I may be able to get a few INSTA-kilts as well. In case anybody wants to get one.

I'll be bringing a 10x10 pop up tent from the Dive Club at UCF.

Soon we can fill in a "who's bringing what" list, I'm going to talk to the Club here and see what we can bring.

I do have a huge cooler I can bring with ice.

List starting...
Ken is bringing, 2x ScubaBoard banners, a 20x20 pavillion, a 10x10 pavillion, the rum tote, at least 2x coolers, camp stove and propane tank, and cooking gear,...
NEXT!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom