2006 "Crab Grab"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[Homer] MMMM... Beeeeeer [/Homer]

It appears that we could have the Crab Grab in the Tennessee River.

This was in the morning news.

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060629/NEWS/606290327&SearchID=73249143337902

Angler catches unlikely crab in Tennessee River
By Dennis Sherer Staff Writer

Published: June 29. 2006 3:30AM

TOWN CREEK -- A wayward sea creature is causing quite a stir at Pat and Tim's Bait and Tackle.

Blue crabs are normally found in coastal waters. Steve Dyess and his 16-year-old son, Joey, caught one Wednesday while fishing along the base of Wheeler Dam.

"On the way up, I told Joey we would have seafood for lunch. I never thought we would catch it ourselves," quipped Steve Dyess, of Mount Olive, as a visitor photographed his unusual catch to show her friends.

Keith Floyd, a supervising biologist for the Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries, said the crab is the first he is aware of being caught in the Tennessee River.

"They do occur in semi-fresh and fresh water in estuaries along the coast. But I have never heard of one being this far north," Floyd said. He suspects someone released the crab into the river.

Steve Dyess was shocked when he reeled in the cutbait he was using to fish for catfish and found the crab tangled in his line.

Joey Dyess was stunned initially to see the blue crustacean on his father's fishing line. Then it piqued his appetite for seafood. "I was thinking lunch when I saw it."

Instead of boiling their catch, they took the crab to the bait shop and placed it in the minnow tank.

Word of the unusual catch quickly spread through the Fisherman's Resort community. Many residents visited the bait shop to see the crab.

After taking a peek at the crab, Jadie Letson said he is curious about how it wound up in a lake more than 300 miles from the coast.

"Somebody could have turned him loose or he could have been attached to a barge. I don't think he came here on his own," Letson said.

Bait shop owner Tim Bryant has a theory about how the crab ended up in Wheeler Lake.

"I think a cook on one of the towboats let supper get away one night," he said.

Wayne Lash, owner of Fisherman's Resort and a seafood shop nearby, was amazed at how lively the crab was. It raced around the bottom of the tank each time someone tried to catch it and repeatedly jumped out of the net.

"He must have been in the lake for a while," Lash said. "I've hauled a lot of crabs up here from the Gulf, but I've never seen one that lively when I got them here."

Steve Dyess said the crab appears to have adapted well to its freshwater home.

Bryant is unsure what he will do with the crab. For the time being, it will be at his bait shop at Fisherman's Resort. "I've never had to find a home for a crab."

I've gotten (And approved) the proof for the Back of the T-shirt from Garrett. He's working on something for the front left (where the pocket would be on a pocketed shirt)

crabgrab_sample.jpg

http://www.66fastback.net/images/crabgrab_sample.jpg

paulwall:
I don't LOVE it the way I do the back, but it meets my criteria. ("Got Crabs" or "I got Crabs" has been beaten to death).

Maybe we should put "<satire>Please don't move this thread!" on the front in honor of PHD.

To me, it kind of looks more like lips, but I like the groovy font

http://www.66fastback.net/images/crabgrab_front_sample.jpg

crabgrab_front_sample.jpg
I can come up with something different if you want, but it is what you said to do. Just following directions. :wink:

Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
I can come up with something different if you want, but it is what you said to do. Just following directions. :wink:

Garrett

Nah, I saw it on the shirt, and it looks good. Maybe add a diagonal white stripe to emulate a dive flag.

Can you do one with the Crab "SMACK'ing" the diver in the back of the head? I know of a few that would sell... ? :D

Back
Top Bottom