2006 "Crab Grab"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a shop in Gulf Shores and another in Orange Beach which offer rentals.

Roll call for June 10?

Someone will need to rent a campsite/reserve a gazebo at Gulf State Park.

I'll be diving Florida waters, unless I get a 1-week AL permit.

June 10th is out for me. We've got a wedding party to help with that weekend and I'm the one making the BBQ :). So can't come then... sorry... Have fun if you guys schedule it for the 10th.

paulwall:
Ok, I'll be around Gulf Shores June 3-10, and am putting June 4 out as the proposed date. Anybody care to postpone it to August?

Again, I'll provide a pot, propane, burner, Zatarain's.
Also plan on putting potatoes, corn, mushrooms, sausage, onions, lemons, garlic, etc in the pot (donations of the above are welcome).

What you should bring: Crabs (live), drinks, food for non-shellfish eaters/non hunters, sunscreen, gloves, catch bag, fishing licenses for the area you'll be crabbin'.

The rules:
Diving permitted from Destin to Mobile Bay. Snorklers also permitted to participate.
No catching more crabs than your participating unit will eat (Up to a dozen per person).
Crabs must be kept alive, and taken by hand. No spearing, gigging, powerheads allowed. Learn how to keep crabs alive during transport.
No "berried" crabs (egg-bearing females).
No whole stone crabs, claws must meet legal requirements.
No crabs smaller than your palm (or 5" across the back between points, whichever is less). This is a conservation rule, and not enforceble except by ridicule.

The boiling will commence no later than 3pm, but may be earlier depending on tides/return times.

There may be T-shirts and valuable prizes :D for participants.
  • longest distance travelled (Crabtastic Journey)
  • greatest hunter (Buster Crabb)
  • largest crab (Mongo Crab)
  • crab with the largest claws (Killer Krab)
  • best technique (Crabrico Suave')

Preferred dive center if held in June will be Gary's Gulf Divers (with his permission) for all fills and supplies, due to his support of this board. If held later, it will likely be one of the Destin shops as well, as I'll be staying over there.

Bonus points awarded to anyone who travels to Gulf Shores to dive with me during the week.

T-shirt idea?

crabgrab.gif
http://www.66fastback.net/images/crabgrab.gif

The Dates:
Aug 18, 19th, 20th

The rules:
Diving permitted from Destin to Mobile Bay. Snorklers also permitted to participate.
No catching more crabs than your participating unit will eat (Up to a dozen per person).
Crabs must be kept alive, and taken by hand. No spearing, gigging, powerheads allowed. Learn how to keep crabs alive during transport.
No "berried" crabs (egg-bearing females).
No whole stone crabs, claws must meet legal requirements.
No crabs smaller than your palm (or 5" across the back between points, whichever is less). This is a conservation rule, and not enforceble except by ridicule.

The boiling will commence no later than 3pm, but may be earlier depending on tides/return times.

There may be T-shirts and valuable prizes for participants.

* longest distance travelled (Crabtastic Journey)
* greatest hunter (Buster Crabb)
* largest crab (Mongo Crab)
* crab with the largest claws (Killer Krab)
* best technique (Crabrico Suave')

Preferred dive center if held in June will be Gary's Gulf Divers (with his permission) for all fills and supplies, due to his support of this board. If held later, it will likely be one of the Destin shops as well, as I'll be staying over there.

Bonus points awarded to anyone who travels to Gulf Shores to dive with me during the week.

The T-shirts will look like this:
crabgrab.gif
http://www.66fastback.net/images/crabgrab.gif

Tshirt logo looks great :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
Tshirt logo looks great :D

Thanks, I'm working on getting a more diver-like victim for the logo. I'm working with one you took of me and one of Darcy to get it to silhouette properly is a PITA!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom