2005 NCWD Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how deep is the olympus trip in april? ill be with family that week and would like to get 1 dive in but i am not advanced yet nor nitrox certified......

Hey foneguy, we aren't doing a trip with Olympus in April. Are you talking about the trip with Discovery (Apr2 & 3)? If so, day one dives are 50-70 ft. Day 2 will be down near 120ft. The day one morning dives trip is all full I think (pm dwright to double check) but there are several of us who are going back out that afternoon (should be openings for that).

Jason

So in answer to Mels' suggestion - looks like Sunday, April 17 at Rawlings for a dive/cookout! More info later....

suthnbelle:
When would everyone be interested in scheduling another dive up at Rawlings? Sometime late April or early May?

Howdy all! It's been awhile since I've been back to Scubaboard. I just got certified last year (well re-certified), but I didn't quite have enough money to buy a wet or dry suit, so I considered the season over.

My local shop (Gypsy divers in Raleigh) considers their boat trips at the beach to be advanced and require a certain amount of dives, or classes etc. Basically what I"m trying to ask is:

Are any of these dives with NCWD beginner enough for me to learn on or too advanced?

If yes, are there any easy dives planned for the future?

I saw Lake Rawlings, so I'm assuming that wouldn't be too tough after reading about it. Do people bring their own buddies to these things or can you get assigned someone while there? I don't have any friends that dive, and that's one of the things keeping from my practicing <sigh>.

Anyways, thanks in advance for answering my babbles

Chris

Kriterian:
Howdy all! It's been awhile since I've been back to Scubaboard. I just got certified last year (well re-certified), but I didn't quite have enough money to buy a wet or dry suit, so I considered the season over.

My local shop (Gypsy divers in Raleigh) considers their boat trips at the beach to be advanced and require a certain amount of dives, or classes etc. Basically what I"m trying to ask is:

Are any of these dives with NCWD beginner enough for me to learn on or too advanced?

If yes, are there any easy dives planned for the future?

I saw Lake Rawlings, so I'm assuming that wouldn't be too tough after reading about it. Do people bring their own buddies to these things or can you get assigned someone while there? I don't have any friends that dive, and that's one of the things keeping from my practicing <sigh>.

Anyways, thanks in advance for answering my babbles

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm glad to see you're back. I also go thru Gypsy and they want you to have your AOW before doing their wreck dives. I talked to Laura a few weeks ago because I was thinking about doing the Memorial Weekend wreck dives. You can get your wreck and deep diver certs on that trip. For those to certs you will go to the quarry and dive a couple of times before the wreck trip. I know one thing she said is they want to make sure you're comfortable with your mask being knocked off in case it happens at depth. So that is something they'll do over at the quarry.

You are more than welcome to join in on the dive trips. We'll be hitting the quarries (Rawlings and Fantasy Lake) when we don't have a trip planned. I leave about 45 minutes from Fantasy Lake so anytime you want to go out there and practice let me know and I maybe able to join you. I have some things I need to practice on as well and the quarry is perfect for that.

In case you're interested I'm planning the June weekend trip to the Triangle Wrecks at Nags Head. It is a shallow, shore dive. Let me know if you're interested.

Mel

Mel, keep me posted on the Triangles Wrecks, I may be interested in that.

Chris either of the quarries, Rolesville or Rawlings are fine for you to dive and are perfect for getting some more experience. You are always welcome to come along with me (and I would bet any of the NC Wreckdivers) when I am heading to the quarry. It will be a little while for me, I dive wet so the water needs to be at least 70 or so before I care to get in. You can always rent a wetsuit at the quarry

Chris, come on out to Lake Rawlings next weekend and dive with us. No need to bring a buddy as there are enough of us to go around. What size wetsuit do you usually wear. I just got a drysuit so I have a wetsuit I could bring that you could wear.

Jason

Welcome to the board Chris. I'm another Raleigh area diver that uses Gypsy Divers as my LDS. Every need a buddy for Fantasy Lake, let me know. Always willing to get a dive in. I'm going down to Lake Rawlings on April 17 th with NC WRECK DIVERS.
A great group to dive with. There are several of us in the triangle area that dive together.

Glenn

suthnbelle:
Hi Chris,

I'm glad to see you're back. I also go thru Gypsy and they want you to have your AOW before doing their wreck dives. I talked to Laura a few weeks ago because I was thinking about doing the Memorial Weekend wreck dives. You can get your wreck and deep diver certs on that trip. For those to certs you will go to the quarry and dive a couple of times before the wreck trip. I know one thing she said is they want to make sure you're comfortable with your mask being knocked off in case it happens at depth. So that is something they'll do over at the quarry.

Ugh, I can never remember when Memorial day or Labor day are? I'm going to end up wearing white at the wrong time, I just know it! Ok according to Google it's: May 26-28 with Memorial day being 29th. I'll check with my work as we're currently getting our summer schedule worked up. I'm definitely comfortable without my mask as while doing my cert dives my buddy kicked both my reg and mask off at 40 ft, TWICE! More practice can't hurt though.

You are more than welcome to join in on the dive trips. We'll be hitting the quarries (Rawlings and Fantasy Lake) when we don't have a trip planned. I leave about 45 minutes from Fantasy Lake so anytime you want to go out there and practice let me know and I maybe able to join you. I have some things I need to practice on as well and the quarry is perfect for that.

In case you're interested I'm planning the June weekend trip to the Triangle Wrecks at Nags Head. It is a shallow, shore dive. Let me know if you're interested.

Mel

I live about 10 minutes from Fantasy Lake in Youngsville but I think it's mega cold for me right now since I don't have a wetsuit yet, hehe. I'll let you know on that one.

I'd definitely be interested in the Triangle Wrecks, is that something posted over at Wreckmaniacs?

Thanks again for all the help and offers from everyone!

Chris

herman:
Mel, keep me posted on the Triangles Wrecks, I may be interested in that.

Chris either of the quarries, Rolesville or Rawlings are fine for you to dive and are perfect for getting some more experience. You are always welcome to come along with me (and I would bet any of the NC Wreckdivers) when I am heading to the quarry. It will be a little while for me, I dive wet so the water needs to be at least 70 or so before I care to get in. You can always rent a wetsuit at the quarry

Thanks for the offer Herman, I appreciate it. I'm without a wetsuit at the moment, and 70 sounds good for when I finally get one.

Do you ever go to Gypsy Divers by chance? Your name sounds familiar, as one of the folks Dave (the owner) introduced us too while we were taking our class. There was a fellow that was testing an old WW II rebreather, and Dave told us not to worry about the dead guy at the other end because he wasn't blowing bubbles, hehe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom