20 Year old Scubapro gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rileymartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have two Scubapro MK200/G200 first stages/second stages, a scubapro BC with the regulartor built into the dump valve/hose, two aluminium 100's, pony bottle and Dacor micro brain plus dive computer, all that are 20 years old and have been sitting in a garage for about 15 of those years. What are the chances that any of that equipment can be brought back to life? Is it worth the expense compared to buying new, up to date gear? Can they be used with nitrox?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Riley

The regulator probably will work! But obviously you should have it serviced. I use an old SP reg than is older than that all the time for some challenging diving. The tanks will need a hydro, but they may be fine if the shop fills older tanks. I would be a little more concerned about the BC, but if it holds air you could have it checked out and use it too.

The computer probably won't work is my guess. Don't know about that one.

The old SP reg will work as well as most any new reg for typical sport diving (probably better).

If the tanks are still good they can be cleaned for nitrox and there is no problem using the old reg for nirox. A lot depends on the condition of the gear when it was taken out of service.

Riley,

I am not a Scubapro guy, but I am confident that you can either find a tech or parts to rebuild your gear. Luis H and DAaquamaster are on the board, and they are Scubapro gurus. I would seek them out for some sagely advice and get your gear ready for diving. I have plenty of old U.S. Divers gear that I use, and Neptune has not smote me yet.

FWIW I avoid old computers. If I am diving vintage, then I use tables. If I am diving modern, then I use a modern computer. I have had bad luck with older computers.

The bc is probably usable in one form or another. I have used various sealants and chemicals with great degrees of success in order to dive vintage BCs. My oldest "BC" is from the 60's. Herman, another veteran of the board, also dives older skin diving/horse collar type vests. I would be thorough in my evaluation, testing, and repairs.

The aluminum tanks should be fine. Depending on whether or not they are the 6351 alloy, they will need eddy current inspections in order to ensure that they are not subject to sustained load cracking. I cannot speak for anywhere else, but I have seen older aluminum tanks in use in the state of Georgia (with the proper inspection). IF you are curious about SLC, here is a link:

Luxfer: Sustained-load Cracking FAQ

I hope this helps.

I have never done any work on scuba gear. Does anyone know how expesive it would be too make this gear usuable and safe?

The Mk 200 was essentially a Mk 2 with fewer LP ports and it is still very serviceable.

The G200 second stages are also still easily serviceable and in fact can be up graded to G200B status with the same balanced poppet used in the S555 and S600.

The Air 2, if it is of the same vintage as the Mk 200 G200s is probably a second or possibly third generation Air 2 and can also still be serviced.

If the AL 100's are made by Catalina they will be made of 6061-TC alloy and will not be subect to SLC issues or mandatory VE testing because Catalina never used 6351-T6 alloy.

If they are Luxfer AL 100s it depends on the date they were made - in the case of a Luxfer AL 100, if it is made before August 1987 it will be made of 6351-T6 alloy and will need DOT mandated VE testing at hydro as well as, per the scuba industry standard, Visual Plus / Eddy Current inspections at each annual Visual inpsection. If it was made in August 1987 or afterwards it will be made from 6061-T6 alloy and is not subject to any special inspection requirements.

Here is the list of scuba tanks from the DOT circular indicating what tanks are most likely made from 6351-T6 alloy:

* All DOT-3AL tanks manufactured under one of the following exemptions or special permits: 6498, 7042, 8107, 8364, 8422
* All composite cylinders manufactured under one of the following exemptions: 7235, 8023, 8115
* All Walter Kidde DOT-3AL scuba tanks.
* All Cliff Impact DOT-3AL scuba tanks made before July 1990.
* All Luxfer 80.8 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S80.8) made before May 1987.
* All Luxfer 72 and 100 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S72, S100) made before August 1987.
* All Luxfer 80 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S80) made before January 1988.
* All Luxfer 50 and 92 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S50, S92) made before April 1988.
* All Luxfer 30 and 63 cu. ft scuba tanks (S30, S63) made before May 1988.
* All Luxfer 40 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S40) made before June 1988.
* All other scuba tanks made in the US before February 1990 (except Catalina).
* All scuba tanks not made in the US.

If you are interested in selling the G200 second stages let me know, as I'd be interested in buying them.

Service costs will run about $25 per stage with about $15-$20 per stage in parts cost assuming nothing is corroded. So for 2 Mk 200 G200 regs and a single Air 2 (5 stages total) the total service cost should be around $225 - less than the cost of a new Mk 2 Plus R295.

All of them would be useable with nitrox up to 40%.

DA,
Are you interested in Air 1's? I have several. I also have a couple MK 2 and 10's. PM me if interested.

Jim

The only issue with the MK200 is that you can no longer get the piston if it is unservicable. However, it is probably ok. I have a MK200/G200 set that I have used since 1988. Wonderful regulators. I overhaul my regs every year and I still like them better than any other regulator set I own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom