$20 to camp at Falling Rock..aka Joe's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For those that are brave enough to go to FRP and battle the floaters in the water and out, a little heads up to a new increased fee.

I went this weekend to see several people that were going to take part in the New Horizons treasure hunt and feast, and had a good time. I was not planning on camping like I usually do. All I paid for was the entry fee of $15. I had a little too much to drink and decided to stay at FRP since it was quiet. The next morning Joe was coming around collecting trash and I told him I owed him for camping last night. He told me, in front of Lou and Julie, that I owed him "AT LEAST $20". I asked him when he raised his price for camping to $20. He told me that he was tired of people giving him $6-$7 for camping. I handed him the $20 for some stupid reason.
The more I thought about this the more mad I was. So on the way out I stopped to ask him about this. I opened by asking him how he could sleep at night with charging people $20 to camp when it use to be $5. He said "That is just the kind of guy I am". I call that a thief!! He asked me what I thought was fair and I told him the $5 that he use to charge. He told me he couldn't stay in business charging that price anymore. So I said OK, $10 is not too bad. We had a few other words and he handed me $10 back and told me that it would be $20 next time.

Now with that in mind he charges (and the gate girls told us this just today) $35 for two days of diving and one night camping. If he charges $15 a day for diving that is $30 for 2 days and $5 for camping. Don't be surprised if the $35 price goes up because I asked him how he figured the above calculations with charging $20 for camping, he had no answer. If you use his figures then you are getting a free day of diving. He wanted to charge me $7 for just being on the property Sunday along with the $20 for camping. Can somebody explain these charges too me since nobody that works at FRP could??

I also told Joe that if he didn't want divers around to just tell us and not allow us to dive. He said that he just might do that next year. I honestly think that it would save a lot of aggravation and maybe him going to the hospital, when somebody gets enough an beats the crap out of him or worse.

First off, want to say thank you Wally for the fun dive, good company and good conversation (sorry our shade canopy tried to eat you). We had a great weekend right up to the point that Joe decided to screw you. I'm still in shock over how blatent it was. Camping at FRP is 6.00 per night. Unfortunatley if you camp, you pay to float or dive the next day, reguardless of what time you leave. So at the MOST, it should have been 13$.

I handed him the $20 for some stupid reason.

You were trying to do the right thing and I think we were all taken off guard by Joes hostility. I honestly thought he was kidding right up till he drove off.

BUT it was very very nice to spend some time with you and to see Jen!!!!!

Love
Julie

Love the way Scubaboard allows someone to add a link to a word you put in a comment that will redirect you to another web page. I just hope that if someone clicks the link in it, they will pay me for the use of my post...............hint hint Pete, pay up dude.

Lou

Last edited:
I also told Joe that if he didn't want divers around to just tell us and not allow us to dive. He said that he just might do that next year.

I kinda figured that was coming. Joe is not a diver so he really don't care whether it's divers, floaters, fisherman, campers, or marksmen. He's just trying to figure out a way to make a living off of the quarry without having to make much investment. I get the impression that from that group of potential customers the divers are the highest maintenance to him.

Camping at FRP is 6.00 per night. Unfortunatley if you camp, you pay to float or dive the next day, reguardless of what time you leave. So at the MOST, it should have been 13$.

I just caught this. Do I understand that camping is 6.00 per night for everyone but Wally? Did he just single Wally out to charge 20.00 for some reason?:shocked2:

Thanks for fixing tha link redirection Pete. I can see doing it on your home page but not with member's comments

Lou

I just caught this. Do I understand that camping is 6.00 per night for everyone but Wally? Did he just single Wally out to charge 20.00 for some reason?:shocked2:

Yes. You understand correctly.

I get the impression that from that group of potential customers the divers are the highest maintenance to him.

I agree Joe thinks that way but I have never understood it, as all of us, as divers, have spent a great deal of time cleaning up after floaters. I have never seen a diver throw a beer can in the water. I dunno. The whole thing is frustrating. I love the KPP'ers and cant imagine not having a place to go and catch up on things. But what I saw Joe do to Wally was just not honest. I dont really like to do business with dishonest people. I do know that if his new rate is 20$, it would probobly be cheaper for us to stay at a hotel/motel. it would be 40 for us to camp. 14$ for us to float the next day....I think a room would be the better deal. And that sucks cause I love the camp part. Oh well. Sorry for the rambling. Just thinking out loud.

Julie

That's so sad to hear:depressed:. Looks like we may lose another regional dive site. First Cerulean & now it looks like Falling Rock.... :shakehead:

I thought Cerulean was open for divers. Rumor has it you can just call the owners up and they'll let you in to dive. Who knows! As far as Joe is concerned, he is looking for any way to get a buck in his hand. I lock my car up and leave nothing out when I'm with students during the week. Too many beer drinking, pot smoking young kids out there. Yes, I had swimmers right next to my students and I smoking and drinking. Joe complains about all the beer cans on the bottom but will never do anything. It's coming to a point where we no longer pick up the cans because there are just too many. Sad, but the swimmers are only out there for maybe 2-3 months where the divers are out there 6-8 months. Some brave souls dive year round out there. Once Joe drives all the divers away, it will be just a matter of time before the place closes down forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom