2 piece wetsuit(farmer john) or full suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sotong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, curious to understand the difference between this two type of wetsuits other than obviously being physically 2 pieces vs 1 piece. What are the pros/cons of having one or another? From what i see online more “advanced” divers seem to use 2 piece wetsuits, why is that? Thanks

I wouldn't say that more advanced divers use 2 pieces, they are quite uncommon outside of spearfishing. A full suit with a hooded vest is pretty common though and that's what I use and recommend if you need a hood. You shouldn't down in Miami though

I wouldn't say that more advanced divers use 2 pieces, they are quite uncommon outside of spearfishing. A full suit with a hooded vest is pretty common though and that's what I use and recommend if you need a hood. You shouldn't down in Miami though
I dive in cold Adriatic Sea(Europe). Found a pretty good deal for a nice Seac(my fav brand as well) 2 piece 7mm suit. And also have Henderson 7mm and Pinnacle hooded 7mm as well. So getting a bit confused about what is the best choice here. I guess i like the idea of having a hood(never had it before) etc. this 2 piece Seac is pretty sick i just never wore one nor i know the benefits of having one which is why i posted here :)

Does the water enters the 2 piece suit more, are they semi dry or wetsuit type?

I dive in cold Adriatic Sea(Europe). Found a pretty good deal for a nice Seac(my fav brand as well) 2 piece 7mm suit. And also have Henderson 7mm and Pinnacle hooded 7mm as well. So getting a bit confused about what is the best choice here. I guess i like the idea of having a hood(never had it before) etc. this 2 piece Seac is pretty sick i just never wore one nor i know the benefits of having one which is why i posted here :)

Does the water enters the 2 piece suit more, are they semi dry or wetsuit type?

that's drysuit territory...
The 2 piece suits typically have less water entry and the best ones are the freediving suits that have almost no water entry since they are unlined. They don't have formal seals like a proper semi-dry would, but it's irrelevant.
I don't believe two piece 7mm suits are safe though. The suit compression is tremendous because of the thickness of the suit, so if you're diving much deeper than 1ata/30ft/10m then you really need to be in a drysuit.

that's drysuit territory...
The 2 piece suits typically have less water entry and the best ones are the freediving suits that have almost no water entry since they are unlined. They don't have formal seals like a proper semi-dry would, but it's irrelevant.
I've been thinking of a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit also. For a non-freediving suit, would water entry be so lacking that you need a pee-valve & catheter (one of the main reasons I want to avoid a drysuit, plus the expense of the suit and the class).

I don't believe two piece 7mm suits are safe though. The suit compression is tremendous because of the thickness of the suit, so if you're diving much deeper than 1ata/30ft/10m then you really need to be in a drysuit.
Are you saying you believe it is unsafe because you would need so much weight to get down that you would be quite over-weighted at depth?

I've been thinking of a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit also. For a non-freediving suit, would water entry be so lacking that you need a pee-valve & catheter (one of the main reasons I want to avoid a drysuit, plus the expense of the suit and the class).

Are you saying you believe it is unsafe because you would need so much weight to get down that you would be quite over-weighted at depth?

I use a p-valve in my semidry suits... The water doesn't move around and the water is usually cold enough that even if it did, I wouldn't want to flush the suit out like I do with my thinner suits.

correct on the safety. The suit compression is massive so you are grossly overweighted at depth which has a slew of issues.

Hello, curious to understand the difference between this two type of wetsuits other than obviously being physically 2 pieces vs 1 piece. What are the pros/cons of having one or another? From what i see online more “advanced” divers seem to use 2 piece wetsuits, why is that? Thanks

I have both in various thicknesses. My two piece suits are freediving-type suits with no inner line. Freediving suits particularly do not have zippers or other fasteners which keeps the cost and bulk down and reduces a source of leakage. I do not believe any one-piece freediving suits are made.

It is easier to get a good fit in a two piece because torso length does not need to be as exact. This is particularly important in thicker suits. Some people are harder to fit than others which may guide the choice.

One-piece suits with a liner are easier to get on (especially) and off (to a lesser extent) on a boat, fewer pieces to keep track of, no need to wet the suit and the skin before donning.

With some vendors, the two pieces of a two piece suit can be purchased separately, and therefore can be different sizes or you can purchase a replacement piece if you rip something and the other piece is still good.

With the freediving suits I use, water does enter the suit but it doesn't move through it much so the suits stay warm. Eventually they wear out and age out and lose their elasticity and then they leak more, so you replace them.

Like many things in diving, wetsuits are ultimately a consumable item that has to be replaced periodically. They're good for 100 dives or a few years, good ones maybe more.

I have both in various thicknesses. My two piece suits are freediving-type suits with no inner line. Freediving suits particularly do not have zippers or other fasteners which keeps the cost and bulk down and reduces a source of leakage. I do not believe any one-piece freediving suits are made.

It is easier to get a good fit in a two piece because torso length does not need to be as exact. This is particularly important in thicker suits. Some people are harder to fit than others which may guide the choice.

One-piece suits with a liner are easier to get on (especially) and off (to a lesser extent) on a boat, fewer pieces to keep track of, no need to wet the suit and the skin before donning.

With some vendors, the two pieces of a two piece suit can be purchased separately, and therefore can be different sizes or you can purchase a replacement piece if you rip something and the other piece is still good.

With the freediving suits I use, water does enter the suit but it doesn't move through it much so the suits stay warm. Eventually they wear out and age out and lose their elasticity and then they leak more, so you replace them.

Like many things in diving, wetsuits are ultimately a consumable item that has to be replaced periodically. They're good for 100 dives or a few years, good ones maybe more.
For now it looks like ill go for Pinnacle Polar or Henderson Thermaxx(probably polar because its hooded and semi dry). Then il probably buy some older used 2 piece just as a backup. What i dont get is if i have a 2 piece right, one is pants covering my torso as well as the upper piece, how many mm am i getting on torso if the suit is 7mm

For now it looks like ill go for Pinnacle Polar or Henderson Thermaxx(probably polar because its hooded and semi dry). Then il probably buy some older used 2 piece just as a backup. What i dont get is if i have a 2 piece right, one is pants covering my torso as well as the upper piece, how many mm am i getting on torso if the suit is 7mm
14, with no compression.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom