US Divers Farmer John w/Step-In Jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I was recently given a US Divers farmer John wet suit and step-in jacket. It appears that it has little (if any) use. But I'm trying to determine if it is 5mm or 7mm. The farmer John by itself seems to weigh significantly more that my new Henderson Thermoprene 5mm full wet suit and "feels" thicker. However, a caliper on the neoprene of both suit shows the same thickness. Can anyone help me determine what I have? And what is your opinion of this US Divers suit? When these were sold as set, were they typically the same thickness?
IMG_0659.jpg

They were the answer back when neoprene wasn't super stretchy. You could get a thick warm suit and still be able to don it.
Neoprene these days is super stretchy and you can slip into a 7mm one piece suit without an issue.
A modern 5mm semi dry that fits well will be warmer than an old 7mm farmer john style.
People still buy them, but I think that is mostly due to old dive shop owners pushing them because they haven't dove anything modern and don't know any better.

Those step-in style suits aren’t the best design. The hips are stiff from two layers of neoprene. You also have to wear a bib style hood which tucks inside and is a pain to get all even, there’s always a cold shot of water down your back. Wearing a hooded vest puts too much neoprene on you and the amount of ballast weight needed to sink all that is immense.
That suit is probably a 7 mil because that cut was very common for the thick suits. 3 and 5 mil were/are usually full back zip suits, although maybe not impossible that it’s a 5 mil, more that it’s highly likely to be a 7.
The best designs now AFAIK (and I’m the wetsuit king!) is a custom made john/jacket beaver tail with attached hood. Those are by far the warmest wetsuits. The less zippers the better.
That’s what freediving suits are based on. Commercial urchin divers around here who work in 48 to 50 degree water all day use that style, although a lot thicker 3/8” - 1/2” thick, kevlar knees and elbows, thick spine pad, high density neoprene, probably $1000 worth of custom suit.

Back
Top Bottom