Ion z-330 type 1 vs Type 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm having trouble understanding the practical difference between a Ion z-330 type 1 VS type 2. I've read that a type 2 has a “fly-eye inner surface on the dome lens that suppresses “uneven light distribution to deliver ideal circular lighting.”

Is the type 2 an acutal upgrade over the type 1? What are the practical differences? Currently a type 1 is half the cost of a type 2 so trying to understand what the differences are and if the extra cost is justified.

I have four type 1 (a friend has one type2). As far as I understand, the difference is that type 1 has a transparent glass dome and needs an extra diffusor attached to give softer light, while the dome of type 2 itself already acts as a diffusor...
Nor a big difference. For WA (not CFWA), many even remove the diffusers (not possible with type2) to get more light (the light gets soft anyway by the long way through H2O and are not needed in this constellation)...

Wolfgang

I have both types across my 3 Inon 330 strobes. I don't pay any attention or notice any difference between them. I would not be concerned at all about picking a Type 1 over a Type 2 if it is a better price. The Type 2 strobes replaced the Type 1s, but if the condition in the two options are similar, get the lower cost one every time.

If it's used, be sure to exercise the Power/Mode switch. This switch is where I have seen problems in used 330s. If it's worn out, the power indicator light might lag the switch itself in turning on or off.

Back
Top Bottom