2 piece wetsuit(farmer john) or full suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, very warm, but it will compress a lot with depth. Same problems with a full suit plus hooded vest; lots of mm up top, lots of compression at depth. I prefer the farmer john; easier to don and doff, and nice to remove the top on SIs.

Yes, very warm, but it will compress a lot with depth. Same problems with a full suit plus hooded vest; lots of mm up top, lots of compression at depth. I prefer the farmer john; easier to don and doff, and nice to remove the top on SIs.
Ok so i see i have a trouble understanding the difference between farmer john, 2 piece and beaver tail.. rookie question but i never had any of them so i guess its ok to ask

The beaver tail is the lower back part of the top of most 2-piece suits. You reach down. pull it up though your legs, and attach it to the lower part of the front of the top. The farmer john is the bottoms; it comes up with a front and straps over your shoulders, like a pair of overalls, hence the name. You put on the bottoms first, then the top.

The beaver tail is the lower back part of the top of most 2-piece suits. You reach down. pull it up though your legs, and attach it to the lower part of the front of the top. The farmer john is the bottoms; it comes up with a front and straps over your shoulders, like a pair of overalls, hence the name. You put on the bottoms first, then the top.
Thank you for not making fun of me and explaining :) This is Seac FARMER JOHN :) i have offered and then there is this Pinnacle Polar(that i have a trouble identifying the year of make) that i really like since it has both, the hood and aqua lock) . Decision to be made but seems like i would get 14mm of that Seac which is too much flr me so now all is left is to find out the year of make for this Pinnacle. I have it for $100 2 dives with it i beieve that suit is a beast

Attachments

• 4E1F24F7-CE99-44D6-A830-D6010C5EBFC4.png
    4E1F24F7-CE99-44D6-A830-D6010C5EBFC4.png
    403.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 9A2F114B-9569-417C-AC9B-B512BF9CFDC2.png
    9A2F114B-9569-417C-AC9B-B512BF9CFDC2.png
    295.8 KB · Views: 79
In general, there is not a problem with excessive warmth with wetsuits, at least not while diving. (They are a problem topside before/after diving though)

The problem with excessively thick material is that it makes it difficult and uncomfortable to move.

I am finding that generally I like to dive my two-piece 3mm freediving suit (with an integral hood) except in really warm water where I don't use a wetsuit at all. With gloves it's good down to around 60 or 65 degrees for a shallow dive. I like it, it's comfortable, it's never really too warm. The only real problem with it is that it's a little awkward on (charter) boat dives where it is expected to get dressed/undressed quickly. But I don't do very many of those dives and increasingly I time my travel to do them when the water is warm and I don't need a wetsuit at all.

Deeper dives below the thermocline I use an identical suit in 7mm.

Either way I dive steel tanks, a stainless backplate, and 3 pounds of thigh weights. For the 3mm I maybe use a couple pounds of lead on my belt if it's a shallow dive in fresh water.

Usually with 7mm I'm below the thermocline in 35-40 degree water so I dive a twinset and need around 10 pounds of lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom