2 Piece vs 1 Piece Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 1 piece with the hooded vest like kelpmermaid described. It keeps me warm when water temps are in the low 40s. It is extremely comfortable and versitile enough for the temperature changes we see in New England. I have also rented the farmer john/jacket set up and had no real issues with them. Just make sure the suit fits, because the rest is mostly preference. Good luck and enjoy!

I dived at Dutch Springs - about 50 degrees at lower depths - using a one piece 7mm rental and was freezing. Went back two weeks later, water was a bit warmer, but wearing a new 6.5mm two piece and was very comfortable. The other guy with me had the same 7mm one piece as I'd used before and was shivering. So my experience is that for warmth a 6.5mm 2 piece will cut it even in the 50s (although of course everyone needs different amounts of warmth).

Only thing is I need a lot more weight with the 2 piece - also probably because it was new - wetsuits get less insulating and less buoyant as they get older, particularly if you take them down to depth.

Sweet, thanks for that guys, a lot of good points there. I'm now thinking a 1 piece semi dry would be ideal. Pulling a sickie today so might head over to the see the boys that make these wetsuits and see about sizing and what-not. (shh, don't tell the boss!). I guess the bottom line is fit. Thanks for all the great input.

Back
Top Bottom