2 Piece vs 1 Piece Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MerKiwi

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope this isn't a thoroughly thrashed question: What're the pros and cons of 2 piece vs 1 piece wetsuits?

I'm approaching that time where one purchases their first wetsuit and I was hoping for some suggestions. I've always rented/borrowed suits and have only used 2 piece suits, so I'm wondering if a 1 piece is perhaps warmer. I plan to dive from late Spring - early Autumn and the water temperatures around these parts (North Island, NZ) range from ~16C (60F) to about ~22C (71F). Of course it'd be ideal to buy a drysuit, but as they start at NZ$2000+ they're a bit beyond my budget. So, your thoughts???

:confused:

Speaking from my experience, one-piece suits are not necessarily warmer – just one layer vs. two in two-piece ones. But at the same time one-piece suits leak less water, and that’s more important than layers. Fit is what matters. Plus one-piece suits are significantly less buoyant and less bulky – for me these are very important considerations.
So I say: “go with one-piece!” I dove both in 55-65F water, I like one-piece better.

What you may want to think about are the 2 piece suits which comprise a 5mm full suit - probably OK for 71F - with a 3mm or 5mm shorty maybe with a hood - which you wear over the top of the full suit when the water is colder. You never want to be cold in the water as it can affect your concentration and therefore judgement

Lemonade is right when he says the fit is important especially around the ankles, wrists and neck. The idea is to let water in but not to have it sloshing around, through and out.

Hope this helps.

Regards

OK from NZ to UK to US I agree that the one piece with a vest is more comfortable. I had a farmer john(2 piece) as they are called here and it was harder to put on and seemed to squeeze more. I now have a drysuit and will use my wetsuit when in more temperate waters than Great Lakes and St. Lawrence.

chuckrt

If warmth is your main aim then a 1 piece semidry (that fits well) will be the best option. A Good fitting semi will keep you almost dry.

The main benefit of a two piece is flexibility. You can wear more or less depending on where you are diving although it very rarely changes that much on one trip.

I am having the same problem. Need to buy a wetsuit, possibly before Friday. I have looked at two pieces and one pieces.
I have never had a one piece but I know that my two piece
for cold water is very bulky and hard to move in. I am leaning
towards the one piece as it looks more comfortable. And your comments have made me think a one piece is probably the way
to go. I am thinking of buying a 5/3 mm. Thanks for your help.

Being a cold water diver, I went with a 2 piece 7mm for two reasons... 14 mm around my midsection definately helps keep me warmer [I've found I'm comfortable down to 40 degrees F]. And I have the option of just wearing the jacket as a shorty when I'm in a warm pool, or in the warm waters of Cape Cod Bay.

Those water temps sound familiar - we run a little colder in the early spring, but it's close. I have a two piece suit - it consists of a 7mm one-piece suit with a hooded armless jacket. At the higher end of the temperature range, I have the option of wearing just a hood with the one piece, or maybe a hooded vest. Something like that would give you a lot of options.

I tend to prefer a 1-piece with hooded vest underneath.
As mentioned earlier, the fit is the most critical thing in a wetsuit. If you're looking at a limited selection of suits in your area, let FIT determine your purchase.

For what it's worth, I use a one piece Mares Isotherm 6.5 semi-dry. Did a dive this past weekend in 42 degree water and was just fine. A guy I buddied with had the same suit, wore a t-shirt under it and it came out almost completely dry, I couldn't believe it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom